Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

VFR Mountain flying

Thx for pointing this out. For the scenarios described – i.e. turn radius larger than half of the canyon width – that strategy makes sense.

I believe this interpretation by @Supersonic is correct

Hoover and Imeson go into some detail on the judgment call on which side of a canyon valley to fly

It’s not a binary one size fits all

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

RobertL18C wrote:

judgment call on which side of a canyon valley to fly

I also think EU and definitely French mountain flying convention is RH side in the absense of other overriding factor. Such convention does not seem to exist in the US

Antonio
LESB, Spain

I guess that‘s more an informal convention, especially in Switzerland, where most of the VFR flying involves „canyon“ flying in any case.

My german instructor, a very experienced ex-fighter- and sailplane-pilot, taught me to fly on the upwind side.

If there is no such side, right hand is certainly the logical choice. But days without „overriding factors“ are scarce…

EDNG, EDST, EDMT, Germany

Obviously there are only few „hard rules“ in mountain flying. Like somebody else in the Simplon accident thread pointed out it is more about smart decision making. And consideration of trade-offs in that case.

I have a feeling that there is confusion in this thread about up*wind* and up*draft*.

172driver wrote:

I have a feeling that there is confusion in this thread about up*wind* and up*draft*.

I guess your feeling is correct

In German “updraft” means “Aufwind”. So it’s easy for us to translate it into “upwind” (“up” = “auf”).

Thx!

Supersonic wrote:

I guess that‘s more an informal convention, especially in Switzerland, where most of the VFR flying involves „canyon“ flying in any case.

My german instructor, a very experienced ex-fighter- and sailplane-pilot, taught me to fly on the upwind side.

If there is no such side, right hand is certainly the logical choice. But days without „overriding factors“ are scarce…

In Switzerland we fly on the right side, unless conditions permit.

LSGS, Switzerland

One important item, in my opinion, is to fly slow. Especially when the airplane is a fast traveller. There is no need to bomb down a valley at high airspeeds, because it minimizes reaction time, and turn radius dramatically, especially at high DAs. 20 kts IAS difference can make 500m or more difference in radius.

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

True, but speed can also be converted into much needed altitude.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

aart wrote:

True, but speed can also be converted into much needed altitude.

In a fighter jet, yes. Not in an Arrow. Look at the picture above. Think pulling might have saved him ? Don’t think so.

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany
Sign in to add your message