Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What do you eat on a long flight?

On 1,5-3 hour flights I try to get some sugar before TOD. Any source. Chocolate or a drink is fine.
On 3-6 hour flights I eat sandwiches, because they’re available at the petrol station next to the airport.
Coffee only below 1hr ETA.

LPFR, Poland

loco wrote:

Coffee only below 1hr ETA.

Same here I don’t like diuretic properties of coffee.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Having done lots of 5-6hr flights, I think watery fruit like tomatoes or strawberries are the best. You get liquid without too much of it, and there is no risk of something getting stuck in your throat.

To strawberries, you can add champagne for nervous passengers

Bananas are also good.

I know we have done this one before… :smile@ but I don’t believe that planning to not have to use the “toilet” is a viable tactic because one day, when you are a bit cold and maybe had too much to drink before the flight, it will bite you big time.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I don’t believe that planning to not have to use the “toilet” is a viable tactic

TravelJohn http://www.traveljohn.com/ is by far better option than peeing in the bottle

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Endorsed by royalty – what more do you want ?

Last Edited by Peter_Mundy at 13 Sep 10:50
EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

1-3 hr apple, banana, müesli bar, water

4-10 hr (yes, I’m used to do several flights over 8-10 hours every year, in a glider) apple, 2 bananas, müesli (or choc.) bar, 2 sandwiches, 1-3 ltr water (dep. on tempr.), in the morning eggs with bacon. Water is the most important part.

Andreas Stores Cornish Pastie :-)

Andreas IOM

The travel-jon is indeed good, but definitely not an option for a lady passenger unless,
A- Very familiar with all aboard in a very liberal sense.
B- Able to sit very far forward on a seat edge or partially stand.
If the bag doesn’t hang cleanly, the capillary action of fluid actually pulls the sides together and then the bag overflows from that point upward. (Anyone ever tried filling poythene ice cube bags from a mineral water bottle? It usually goes everywhere)

If the bag can be hung to remain ‘open’ they are excellent.

Don’t ask me how I know. Lol.

United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Having done lots of 5-6hr flights, I think watery fruit like tomatoes or strawberries are the best. You get liquid without too much of it, and there is no risk of something getting stuck in your throat.

I buy tomato passata (uncooked tomato purée) in tetrapacks, transfer it to a bottle and add pepper and salt to taste. It’s much thicker than standard tomato juice but runny enough to drink it out of the bottle. Can also be upgraded to gazpacho.

Bananas are also good.

I second that. Probably the most filling among fruits, and their high potassium and magnesium content helps replenish the minerals lost with sweat.

Another small trick is to make wraps instead of sandwiches and overwrap them in aluminium foil. They are easier to handle when you are busy and less prone to fall apart at an inopportune time.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Although with wraps be careful of structural integrity issues – contents with sauces can cause structural failure of the bottom of the wrap when you try to eat it, with the result that the contents go all over your lap and the plane…

Andreas IOM
Sign in to add your message