Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

M20K 252 D-EISE crash in Bergamo

This is heartbreaking

EBST, Belgium

Absolutely horrible. Father and 3 daugthers on board, one girl dead, father with life-threatening injuries and both other girls severely injured.

Looking at the pics it is quite astonishing that anyone survived at all, probably thanks to the steel cage of the Mooney. However, it is way too often that we see that steel cage burnt out in such cases.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

It really does look likely that he would have made it to runway 28, but still chose runway 30. Some sort of get-home-itis, possibly.

For explanation: LIME is actually two airports in one. The (shortish) northerly runway is where all the local GA (like this one) takes place. It is not even connected (by taxiway) to the „main“ commercial airport in the south.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 23 Sep 07:40
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

A horrible situation.
Didn’t know about the two separate runways.

always learning
LO__, Austria

That’s horrible.
Thanks for sharing though. Good to see the potential consequences of my actions every time in in the sky.

Although he probably had no indication he wouldn’t make it, I wonder why he didn’t declare an emergency and take the larger runway.

This plane had a reasonably survivable crash (my impression when looking at the pictures) with 4 occupants (which makes me believe he didn’t carry a lot of fuel) but the fire got to them. What is the best thing to do in order to avoid a fire erupting post-crash ? Kill the electrics/fuel switch off/… ? Does this only make sense before impact ?

EBST, Belgium

I think 700m is bit tight when coming fast (he cancelled his trip) in M20K and go-around from trying to squeeze a short landing with it tends to be nasty, the aircraft was going to Venice, so it had some problem and had to come back quick? so he probably had load of fuel and I guess the best defense against fire with engine running (and other risks) is to use long runways, if the engine was not running then it is a different matter

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

700m

Wrong decision whatever the reason is behind it.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Very sad. I guess he developed ‘tunnel vision’ fixated on the GA runway while essentially overflying a 9500ft rwy.

It looks to me as if the crash site is after the runway 30, before the motorway? Or am I wrong? From the google image I’d think it is northeast of the small runway.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
19 Posts
Sign in to add your message