Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Ashamed of botched Instrument Approach

I made an instrument approach a couple of weeks ago that was the worst I have done in years and in which I made several mistakes. I thought I would share this and also seek some guidance.

I flew my PA46 Mirage from the south of England into an largish commercial airport in the north of the country. The weather was predicted to be quite difficult – winds direct cross wind 15 gusting 25, 400ft BKN 600 OVC and rain. I have flown into these kind of conditions a number of times and was not overly concerned and had planned for two possible alternate airports with much better conditions.

The problem started because ATC kept me much higher than I wanted on the descent. I found myself in the position of being vectored onto the ILS almost at the FAF, descending at a rate of over 1,000 fpm and very fast of course (ie essentially diving right at the IAF and way too high). The autopilot did not capture the ILS and I flew quickly through the localizer still in the descent. In the following 30 seconds I veered from side to side on the localizer, and above and below on the glide slope, trying to get established and stabilized. At exactly the moment that the tower called for me to go missed rather forcefully, it all came together and I also spotted the approach lights momentarily so called negative and proceeded to a good landing.

In retrospect I realise what I should have done rather than trying to pull off a “hero approach” is told ATC I needed to be vectored through the localizer for further descent in a 270 degree turn to 1) get onto the correct altitude, 2) get slowed down and configured a minute before intercepting the localizer and 3) made sure all I was positioned so as to be on the localizer a good 30 seconds before starting the descent on the glide slope. Failing that I could have gone missed early and executed a full missed approach.

Several times in the past I have found myself in a similar situation (always in the north of England for some reason) with ATC delaying the descent onto the approach, but this was by far the worst, and in much more challenging conditions due to cross wind and gustiness. What would you recommend as to the best way to ask ATC for further vectors to be properly stabilized and prepared before intercepting the localizer?

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

At my home field they ask if I accept vectors for X miles final when they want to make it short. Guess that’s what I would ask for if I wanted a longer approach.

Planes have different characteristics and controllers at larger airports may be used to higher rates of descent or speeds.

LPFR, Poland

Commercial traffic is now on a CDFA from top of descent in many approaches-requiring very good descent planning.

Am guessing being a HP puddle jumper they will RV straight onto the Glide Slope with a when established descend with the GS clearance. The AP will not necessarily capture as it hasn’t had enough time on intercept. A work around is set up the 3 degree descent on CWS and then arm the APP mode.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

The only way I managed to get away from that situation in VMC (e.g. clocking 140kts at 4000ft at 2nm from threshold) due to ATC or pilot planning is to slow down 5kts above stall and keep some power, you get some decent sink rates and a controlled loss of height than pushing the stick and cut power, obviously it is not something I will try in IMC or bellow 1000ft

I don’t think there are other solutions apart from planning your decent with some target ROD and chase ATC on that

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Good learning for everyone. Thanks for sharing. How did ATC tell you to go miss?

EGTF, LFTF

Not an instrument pilot and not even a power pilot but my suggestion would be to hint to the controller early enough that you are too high with requests like: Request (further) descent, Request track miles to approach fix for descent planning
And maybe later if the hints haven’t worked: request extend XX miles for descent.

Nympsfield, United Kingdom

I would say “best I can do is 1000 feet per minute descent; request extended vectoring to lose altitude”.

Unfortunately half of those words are outside ELP requirements, but in northern UK it should work (well, depending on how far north you are ).

Getting vectored through the localiser unintentionally is also not that unusual; they sometimes forget.

I wonder why the autopilot did not capture the LOC? It should work at any speed. It may overshoot but it should turn you inbound.

OTOH they should not vector you so close to the FAF (the GS intercept). If they want to do that, they are supposed to ask you (AIUI; maybe an ATCO can confirm). I have often been asked if I will accept a vector to say 10nm (with the GS intercept being say 8nm

I also often use “Nxxxx ready for a descent”, say 30nm to run (depending on details), because they do forget about you quite often. It’s a polite reminder to ATC, but it doesn’t sound like one. If they can’t approve it they will just tell you and then you know you are gonna get a tight one

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Vectoring for an ILS approach should allow for 2 nm straight&level flight before glide path intercept.
And gp intercept should always be from below.

Last Edited by airways at 26 Sep 14:45
EBST, Belgium

Vectoring for an ILS approach should allow for 2 nm straight&level flight before glide path intercept.

Correct, but in practice when mixing pistons with commercial traffic, the slower traffic will be RV onto the GS/FAF.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

That can work, as long as you allow for min 2nm S&L before loc intercept then. Still need to intercept the gp from below.

EBST, Belgium
21 Posts
Sign in to add your message