Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Do you get the stall warner on takeoff?

From here

Stall warning on T/O ? I wouldn’t want to hear that.
Same during descent, wouldn’t want to hear that before being low over the runway, especially in strong/gusty winds, I would prefer some more margin…
Or am I being too wimpy here ?

EDM_, Germany

ch.ess wrote:

Same during descent, wouldn’t want to hear that before being low over the runway, especially in strong/gusty winds, I would prefer some more margin…
Or am I being too wimpy here ?

The stall horn on the DA40 is extremely sensitive. I’ve had it go off during the cruise during gusty conditions. The DA42 has an adjustable electric lift indicator on the wing, the DA40 has only a fixed hole in the leading edge (I don’t have a picture to hand) but if you Google “DA40 sensitive stall warner”. It’s a well-known fact.

It might explain why I am always too fast on the approach, it can make you paranoid for sure. As I usually fly way too fast for the DA40.

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

pilotrobbie wrote:

The stall horn on the DA40 is extremely sensitive. I’ve had it go off during the cruise during gusty conditions. The DA42

On take-off, I guess the DA40 stall warner comes at +10kts Vstall? which is very close to its Vx, Vy and even bellow “its rotation speed”, having it buzzing at cruise is very weird (and concerning), unless you do 65% cruise with 80kts gust factor or cruise near VS…

On landing, I do prefer to hear it on all aircrafts with stick way back, except DA40 which was point to me I am landing it nose high too much and landing a bit flat would make last minute judgements easier

Last Edited by Ibra at 06 Oct 11:29
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

The stall warner on my TB20 is on after liftoff and stays on for ages.

It comes on at about Vs+10kt, where Vs is the buffet onset, but this is at altitude. In ground effect it comes on a lot sooner, especially with TKS fitted. Probably Vs+15kt. I lift off at 70kt indicated…

So this may be unusual (I am not familiar with many other types, especially not recently) but is not unique.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

ch.ess wrote:

I almost always get a squeak from the stall warner on rotation when making a short-field takeoff with my club PA28…. It goes away after a second or two.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Interesting to compare notes on this.

On my TB20 w/o TKS, I have to pull airly hard to get the stall warning, after rotating (slowly) at about 70kn. With a normal AOA, it stays off.

Yes, on a short field T/O I sometimes go to the limit, but then we talk about less than 500m on tarmac or less than 800m on grass.

Approaching to land with 85-80kn, I also do not get the warning before slowing to below 70kn, often 65kn.

Incidentally, several FI told me off for a AOA which set off the stall warning (“you pull to hard, only lift the nose and wait for her to take off at her own speed”)

Last Edited by ch.ess at 06 Oct 13:27
EDM_, Germany

Generally landing the DR400 if you didn’t get a chirp or two from the stall warner on flare then you were probably a little fast and unlikely to be landing only on the mains.
Obviously a different aircraft of identical type may react slightly differently, and the stall warner is adjustable (so may not be set to manufacturer spec) but I flew two and they performed the same. (Unlike me).
In the Cessna I rarely hear the stall warner on landing and as a general reference, on my landings with ‘No room for improvement’ I don’t get it.
For a short T/O in the Robin, if heavy, an occasional chirp on take off (fully planned and then occuring) was acceptable. I would brief my Pax on this and be ready to react if it wasn’t such a very short chirp or two. Oh, and we’re only talking about the 1st 20ft or so.

United Kingdom

You can get erroneous chirps at all stages (even during Aeros) due to rapid changes of airflow over the vane / port – as others have said it will settle and go off, which is why we specifically refer to ‘continuous stall warner’ when teaching the standard stall recovery actions

Now retired from forums best wishes

On the P2008 I simply pull the breaker and let it stay off. To have a stall warning on climb out is just nonsense, and extremely annoying. More than enough buffeting to warn of a stall in any case.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I never hear it on takeoff in the Aquila A210. Then again I tend to keep my eyes pinned on the air speed during climb out and usually climb with 70 kts. Vs is 49 its and from experience it starts to beep at around 60 kts, sometimes 65 in gusts. I never fly slower than 70 kts, except right before touch down.

I found it quite unsettling when during the PPL exam flight, the FE wanted to see a Vx takeoff and the stall warner kept beeping. I’ve never flown to or from and airfield where a Vx ir Vy takeoff would even remotely make sense.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany
28 Posts
Sign in to add your message