Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Do you get the stall warner on takeoff?

My TB20’s Stall Warner will come on momentarily in windy/turbulent weather at take off of 67kts. The heavier you are the more likely it is to happen.
I look upon it as a reminder not to make any aggressive or sharp turns.

EGLK, United Kingdom

On the P2008 I simply pull the breaker and let it stay off. To have a stall warning on climb out is just nonsense, and extremely annoying. More than enough buffeting to warn of a stall in any case.

Apart from in very clean air, and when specifically looking for it I have never experienced buffet strong enough to be certain of noticing it in flight.

In the circuit the other day somehow the guy in front managed to fly so slowly it really messed up the pattern and I ended up getting slow.
No real danger, and no stall warner, as I spotted it, but it’s those types of stall that are a real danger because as you fall through the speed range the timeline from stall warner to stall can be significantly reduced and compounded in the turn. For that reason I personally wouldn’t be happy to pull the breaker. On an aircraft causing that issue can you not carry a little more speed on climbout?

United Kingdom

Nope, but sometimes my slats slide out with a bang!

Tököl LHTL

I don’t mind having the stall warning peep briefly after leaving the surface, following which I will accelerate in ground effect as obstacles might allow, then climb away. If, in ground effect with the stall warning peeping, the engine were to stop, you can settle back on the surface (hoping you have room left – but you’re not climbing away!)

If you are getting the stall warning during climb out after clearing an obstacle in a single, you are climbing away needlessly slowly, and greatly increasing your risk should the engine fail. If the engine suddenly stops at Vs+10, you are already flying on the slow side of a suitable gliding speed. If you are flying at Vs +10 with the nose up, and the engine stops, you’ll slow as you lower the nose, so be flying even more slowly as you get the nose down to enter a glide. From that speed, you’ll need to accelerate in the glide (meaning wasting altitude) in order to be more than Vs+10 to have a reserve of airspeed to flare. For obvious safety reasons, engine failures during low altitude climbouts are rarely practiced to an effective glide entry. I do train these at altitude on warm days when shock cooling is less a concern. When it happens for real, it’s alarming. Avoid low altitude climbs with the stall warning peeping – not because of the risk of a stall, but the risk of not being able to enter an effective glide to a safe flare in the case of an engine failure.

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

Thanks for the very good post, Pilot_DAR. I feel vindicated in climbing rather fast and shallow than slow and steep. The only reason for the latter would be terrain in front of you during the climb, right?

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

can you not carry a little more speed on climbout?

It doesn’t go off before 80+ knots. Totally useless.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

If you can’t clear obstacles by pointing the nose to them and then gently pull-up to the stall, then you should certainly assume you would not be able to do it by continuous climbs at any speed (few assumptions here on the conservative side: quadratic parasite drag curve, say at +10kts from stall), it is much easier to judge the former when things go wrong

Slightly different question from how to maximize angle/clearance (assuming you pass obstacle first) which is obviously continuous climbs at Vx or higher if you are concerned about engine off

Last Edited by Ibra at 08 Oct 12:01
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I sort of agree with your first statement, but essentially having minimum clearance doesn’t really help you with an engine failure, and subjects you to be able to not fall to optic illusions etc.

I for one rather climb to at Vx until obstacles clear (if they are nearby) or just at Vy, until a turn around (or a good option ahead sideways) is reached.

Two data points I know of engine failures in super cub while on performance takeoff: one walked alive flying high speed into the trees (the guy who checked you on the cub) and the other one dead in slow speed stall on top of the trees (I witnessed this one), it is hard to compare the two accidents outcome but I think as personal preference conscious crash is better than an unexpected stall :)

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Pretty rare that you are on an airstrip boxed in by trees and ‘must’ to climb at Vx to get out. Very clenching, and I think you would only do this with much experience; i.e. knowledge of exact weight, density altitude, etc.

However, almost every mountain lake take off in a floatplane is such that you cannot clear the obstacles!!!

I always make sure I have adequate speed, with a safety margin, to turn before hitting anything. Then you can circle as required to gain altitude. This bit of extra speed also ensures time to get nose down if you have an engine problem.

YouTube is full of Cubs hanging on the prop (perhaps some of these are below Vx). Sure maybe a practice once in a while is fine, but as Ibra points out above, one day you will hit a wind shear or gust and spiral in. Seems a very unnecessary risk.

Now of course there was that Bonanza guy that might have been going a bit fast (and reluctant to pull) to get a good climb rate, but this is all about understanding how your aircraft performs, and really a different discussion.

Sans aircraft at the moment :-(, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message