Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Engine out after departure LSZH today

Sorry for you Peter, and congrats for the way you managed the emergency! Well done!

Last Edited by Olivier14 at 11 Oct 21:40
Caen LFRK, France

Peter wrote:

What was the aircraft which departed behind you?

British Airways A319. He had to get off the Runway b.d.q but managed before Peter’s landing. Anyway, Peter apparently left the runway at Taxiway J and managed to fully vaccate, which was highly appreciated by the airport. That BA plane took off a few minutes later.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Well done Peter. This must be one of the most harsh tests of Pilot skill and keeping it all together under pressure, and executed perfectly.

I hope you get a resolution for your engine quickly.
Is there any chance of assistance from your insurance company? I’ve never actually researched the likelihood of money from them in this scenario. (You expertly saved the airframe)
Enjoy your weekend.

United Kingdom

GA_Pete wrote:

s there any chance of assistance from your insurance company? I’ve never actually researched the likelihood of money from them in this scenario. (You expertly saved the airframe)

I fear in this regard saving the airframe is not appreciated. If you smash the plane in the process the insurance will usually pay for it all. If you just have a mechanical damage to the engine they pay nothing.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Very well done and congrats on the outcome!

I had an engine failure followed by a forced landing in a field two years ago. I’m interested to learn if this emergency will affect your future flying.
You handled the emergency well. But there’s also a portion of luck that needs to be on your side.

For myself, I haven’t done any night flying. I also can get anxious if I (think I) hear a change in engine sound.

I’m now transitioning to SR22. I know the opinions on the CAPS vary, but at least it will give me a way out in situations where you can’t make an emergency landing..

lenthamen wrote:

For myself, I haven’t done any night flying. I also can get anxious if I (think I) hear a change in engine sound.

I’m now transitioning to SR22. I know the opinions on the CAPS vary, but at least it will give me a way out in situations where you can’t make an emergency landing..

That’s very understandable. Critical incident stress management (counseling) shouldn’t be neglected after such a potentially traumatic experience. It can have psychological consequences unrelated/not limited to flying.

CAPS works and is a great thing to have!

always learning
LO__, Austria

Great job! Scary scenario!

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 12 Oct 01:38

Great result – Peter great your training and calm dealing with the emergency came to the rescue. I like the second birthday, perhaps you better post us some lottery numbers.

Having such a good outcome is a great feel good news story.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Congratulations from me too. You did a remarkable job, and I especially admire how you even treated them to a fully vacated runway. Being an LSGG local, I know how much pressure you had To avoid a shutdown of the runway… bravo!

LSGG, LFEY, Switzerland

Great work!

I guess you were in VMC at the time? What bank angle and speed did you use in the turn?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message