Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Engine out after departure LSZH today

@cessnatraveller wrote:

Do you already have an idea why this engine failure might have happened? It would be interesting to see the data from your engine monitor!
Looks like a thermal runaway, possibly due to detonation.
Did your engine monitor give some kind of warning?

At the moment no idea. During the climb the EGT was reading normal on every cylinder, max 385/1450 on the hottest cylinder, differences 70. So everything was normal in the beginning.

@Peter Glideratio is 10,3 but as Jason mentioned, I have had enough altitude to first avoid step turns and then to make a controlled decent.

EDDS , Germany

Great job. Had a dead stick landing some years ago. The only thing to say really is that training pays off. An engine may quit at any time for thousands of reasons, and the only thing we can do is to prepare and train for it.

That was one broken engine indeed.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Djees ! Did somebody plant a bomb in that engine bay !?

EBST, Belgium

Congratulations! Glad you made it back in one piece! An engine or aircraft is replaceable, body parts are not (with few exceptions)

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Peter can you use an engine with an 8130-3?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes what can cause such a catastrophic failure? And what may be usable from that engine? Crankshaft? Accessories? Maybe even the not damaged cylinders andnpistons?

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

@Peter

I don‘t know yet, and as I do have lack of knowledge in many technical things, what means “engine with an 8130-3”?

EDDS , Germany

Thank God that you are OK. Well done Peter and thank you for posting. You were calm enough to even think of helping the airport by clearing the runway! That’s one pilot I would not mind flying with!

As to insurance, I would report it regardless, the sooner the better. Sebastian is probably right, but until you know for sure what triggered the event, it could be an insured event.

What was TSO on the engine?

eddsPeter wrote:

@Peter

I don‘t know yet, and as I do have lack of knowledge in many technical things, what means “engine with an 8130-3”

That is the american version of an EASA form ONE, a release certificate for the engine or part. If you are D-reg you can install an engine with an 8130-3 as long as

a) it has a ‘dual release’ (the US 8130 form specifies it is also released per easa 145), or
b) it is a new engine (perhaps also ok for remanufactured, but I am unsure on that)

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Wow, congratulations Peter.

Jean
EBST, Belgium

Antonio has it right.

The US is the best place by far to look for another engine (their GA scene is maybe 10x bigger than all of Europe and might even be 10x bigger than the rest of the world) but unless you go to one of the few US shops which have EASA approval (and can generate an 8130-3 with the EASA approval number on it – a “dual release 8130-3”) you will get a standard 8130-3 which is good for an N-reg (actually a Part 91 N-reg doesn’t even need that because an FAA A&P has the authority to declare a part airworthy, but few people know this, and even fewer if they want to make money out of you ) and is good for an EASA-reg if it is a new part (and there is an additional interpretation, which I have no reference for so it may be bogus, that the 8130-3 must come from the original manufacturer of the item and that would preclude getting even a zero-timed engine a US engine shop other than Lyco or Conti).

In the UK there used to be an acceptance route whereby an engine (or a prop) would be accepted onto a G-reg with a US Export CofA form (8130-4, generated by a US DAR) and this opened up the supply routes, but I don’t know what happened to that or whether it is applicable to the EU. I don’t even know where one might look for the EASA regs… plus it may be national CAA specific. A few years ago the 8130-4 was discontinued in the US (maybe temporarily) and I am out of date on this. Being N-reg is definitely the way to go for maintenance-everything.

If this was me I would check out the Export CofA acceptance option with my CAA, and then contact some US engine shops. Barrett Precision is what I use, then there are the usual names like Pen Yan which are also EASA approved. Zephyr is another one.

This is another route to an EASA-1 And here is another one, which is very rare and available only through a very small number of firms which got in on the ground floor and got the approval to do it before EASA blocked it.

Your existing engine is likely totally scrap. Normally when crankcases are destroyed, it is uneconomical to do anything unless the damage is unrelated to the internals. Maybe somebody will measure up and NDT the crankshaft and the conrods and reprocess them… Actually most engines become scrap if the crankshaft is lost, by the time the whole picture is taken into account. How many hours has your engine got on it?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message