Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Engine out after departure LSZH today

105 is outstanding. You are cool as a cucumber

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Very good that the SUST is looking into this. So also they will take the engine apart whereafter it should be clear if there is anything salvagable.

Back when we had an engine failure I was told at no circumstance to split the engine as that would make its use as a core impossible. Is the SUST taking this into account that their investigation might cost the airplane owner the core charge? In this case it probably will not matter so much as the core is not usable anyway. Call me a sceptic but I just feel such an investigation might cost the owner a pile of money with little to no benefit.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

if possible take the engine, even if it’s disassembled, to the engine shop….. You might be able to use some parts, ie the injection system or other peripheral items.

Last Edited by EuroFlyer at 14 Oct 23:18
Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

The fuel servo should be usable but rotating items require an NDT or overhaul, after a sudden engine stoppage.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@Euroflyer

if possible take the engine, even if it’s disassembled, to the engine shop….. You might be able to use some parts, ie the injection system or other peripheral items.

I arranged this immediately this morning.

@Peter

The fuel servo should be usable but rotating items require an NDT or overhaul, after a sudden engine stoppage.

I hope the best, because it is not really cheap to replace the engine and every additional costs which can be avoided will help.

EDDS , Germany

@eddsPeter: I’m the fire chief of Regensdorf, the town just below your incident. I was at home this evening and heard your engine failure. I’m so glad you made it back safely to LSZH…

I also took a screenshot of the LSZH webcam after your landing:

Switzerland

@firefighter_8105 Thank you very much for the picture. It could be, that you caught me personally on this pic, because I put on the orange high-vis vest when I left the aircraft there.

EDDS , Germany

The SUST will conclude that your high-vis vest was a major contribution to the safe outcome of your flight. :)

Joking aside: Well done! And thanks for sharing your experience.

@eddsPeter: Thank you for this topic, great to hear that everything worked out fine! Well done! I can imagine the feelings you have after such an event and it makes me think of my own actions and training. A fellow pilotfriend of mine was not so fortunate this year after an engine failure, he crashed on his flight to my aerodrome, but miraculously survived.

Switzerland

Frans wrote:

A fellow pilotfriend of mine was not so fortunate this year after an engine failure, he crashed on his flight to my aerodrome, but miraculously survived.

Hi Frans! Would you be able to share some more data on the referred accident that we can learn from?

Antonio
LESB, Spain
Sign in to add your message