Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Squawk 2000 for uncontrolled IFR flights in the UK

Arne wrote:

I did not know that was possible (anywhere). Hence my post above.

It is allowed by SERA, so should be possible Europe-wide. If necessary with some “unofficial reminder” of that by EASA to the NAA (I “guess” from incomplete fragments this is what happened with Belgium). Whether it is supported by the airspace design is another question. Obviously, if a country has a blanket class E from 1000ft AGL (Germany?), the point becomes moot: class E requires radio contact and clearance for IFR, and you can’t fly below the class E.

Ibra wrote:

the requirement 2.2.1-e-iii) to reset to 2000 when parked/tow before switch OFF/STBY is a bit odd?

I understand it as being so that you don’t squawk another flight’s code (which is currently flying under the code you had) when you next turn your avionics on. A few months (year or two?) ago, ELLX AIP was changed to include that (for IFR flights), so I started doing it. In Luxembourg, that change was linked to the introduction of ground radar.

ELLX

That assumes 2000 gets filtered out on ground ATC radars (you can’t be IFR when on the ramp or taxying :) )

Last Edited by Ibra at 10 Nov 20:12
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Not necessarily filtered out, but treated as a “conspicuity code” for which multiple returns are expected, whereas the code you flew with (discrete code) is treated as “any plane squawking it is that particular flight”. E.g. if TWR gave flight LUX112 squawking 5441 taxi clearance from L to intersection A2 (east of L) but that code shows up at intersection G (west of L), because I had code 5441 last week and I just turned on my avionics, the ground radar / surveillance system will alarm? But not with squawk 2000?

ELLX

Ibra wrote:

you can’t be IFR when on the ramp or taxying

Are you sure? When you log an IFR flight, you log all the taxi time as IFR time. (Check the log book examples in the AMC to FCL.050.)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I am aware of that (probably from you AA), I think it is also listed as nature of “flight” in accident reports when airliners crashes while taxying on the ramp :)

I was just curious on reason of showing 2000 instead of 7000 (or any other random code) while on the ground?

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
35 Posts
Sign in to add your message