Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Does clearance to enter CAS extend to any CAS which adjoins it further down the route?

I think SERA 8005 gives you all the answers. It is the responsibility of the ATCO to coordinate clearances with any other unit when needed.

Last Edited by LeSving at 18 Nov 11:53
The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

It is more grey than SERA.8005, funny one I had was getting inside Alicante CTR from Seville TMA

Luckily in Spain things get sorted with a change of frequency, climb and phone call later on the ground, so new CAS principal: don’t assume, do check yourself

I was not ready to lose my license over there, who will fly the aircraft back ?

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

CAP 413 ed 21, para 6.15:

… In the interests of shared understanding
among pilots and controllers, the term ‘clearance limit’ is defined in the
Glossary, but is not to be used as a phrase to delineate a restriction to a
clearance.

London, United Kingdom

CAP413 local copy

The mind boggles.

Although, to be fair to ATC, they already have a huge mouthful with CYA bollox nonsense like “traffic service, limited due to reduced radar coverage” or some such.

It would be really interesting to know what the answer to the OP is. A big chunk of UK ATC reads EuroGA (well, ever since the establishment discovered this thread) but I doubt any UK ATCO is going to post it, because if the risk of somebody quoting it if the CAA decides to bust somebody in a similar situation. And if this is in an airport’s MATS Part 2, it is a commercial secret.

However this isn’t just a UK issue but any means. It could happen anywhere. The difference is that, apart from 3rd World countries, nowhere else in Europe would you expect to get into trouble.

And actually you would not expect to get into trouble in the UK either, until 2-3 years ago.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Apologies, I havent read the whole thread, but I have had exactly this (I think it is what you are referring to) transitting Bournemouth, Southampton – you must make sure you have an explicit clearance on and into Solent even though they cojoin (a hand over of course works as well). I nearly sailed on through many years ago and was so told, so I assume it is still the case and always, but always ask them to confirm. This will be the case whether your initial clearance is IFR or VFR.

So let me get this straight: You were on an IFR flightplan and cleared IFR through Southhamton, yet you had to descend into icing conditions due to being insecure whether ATC had coordinated your clearance onward?

Did IFR only start for crossing Southhamton or before? If before and you were handed off to SAM for crossing, then I would assume that it is the controllers responsibility to assure your handoff to the next sector, which looks like Airspace A and coordinate ahead. So the action should have been initially to query the controller if your continued flight after the sector boundary was assured. HIS action if not should have been to descend you below A if he had not coordinated.

If you really want an answer I’d try to locate the controller which handled you and ask directly.

I agree with those who say in such a mess it is better NOT to fly in that area.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

You were on an IFR flightplan

No. It was an ad-hoc clearance initially through Solent airspace.

Nympsfield, United Kingdom

It has occured to me that I would have busted CAS had I continued at FL065 past the Solent airspace.

I say this because I called them up a few miles W of SAM and said my intention is to descend 5300ft abeam SAM “to avoid busting the 5500ft base LTMA” and he agreed with this.

That was despite me having a clearance to transit his CAS at FL065 i.e. the whole of his CAS but since one cannot step down from FL065 to < 5500ft in zero distance, this would give rise to a logically impossible situation. IOW, if he was to stop me busting, he would have had to amend the clearance well before I reached the LTMA.

Yes indeed I had to descend through icing conditions, but that’s not an ATC problem

BTW that route is not flyable on a Eurocontrol IFR FP, unless you go to FL200 (base of Class C), because much of it is OCAS so London Control will toss it out and you won’t get any transits unless you ask for each one. And if any is denied then you have to dive down. The commuter turboprops doing the London to Lands End etc flights go at FL200.

How is this handled elsewhere in Europe? Is there a standard expectation of coordination ahead, when IFR, even if not on a Eurocontrol flight plan?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Adjacent CAS is rare in France but usually ATC is well aware of the potential issues and act accordingly.
If you fly VFR to LFPT from the north, Beauvais APP will let you call LFPT well before the CAS boundary, just after you crossed Beauvais runway. And keep the squawk. Both ATC units seem to have talked about this.

IFR, I really don’t know how you can get a 200nm direct though one or two airspaces, as ATC offers sometimes..

LFOU, France

Oh I am with it now – not as I thought – sorry for the distraction.

I recall doing an approach into Southampton not long ago in some reasonable nasty convective and wet weather, a CAT was requesting heading changes above and took himself out of the class D on several occasions and got well and truly told off – but he said due weather and was promptly forgiven. To be fair I ended up breaking off as it was very unpleasant in the downpours.

I have no doubt their clearance is limited to the edge of the class D and as riduculous as it is, I bet it would be treated as a bust.

Sign in to add your message