Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Squawk Conspicuity

This new R/T phrase will be introduced in the UK from 27 Feb 2020

It’s related to the introduction/growth of Class E airspace, which distinguishes between VFR and IFR traffic.

The verbal response is the same (“Squawk Conspicuity”) and the action is to squawk either 7000 (VFR) or 2000 (IFR) depending on your flight conditions.
I imagine that this mouthful will cause a bit of consternation next year once the flying season gets underway, and even more so for visiting pilots from other countries.
So no more Squawk 7000 when departing controlled airspace or similar.

Presumably you might also choose to squawk an FMC (Listening Squawk) which does not indicate VFR/IFR

It should however avoid being asked the question “what are your flight conditions” prior to requesting a transit or similar. I’ve been granted a VFR zone transit on more than one occasion while in or about to enter cloud. Perhaps I had omitted to state IFR when requesting the zone transit, although I try to remember to include that.

Other tell me this will bring us more in to line with other European countries, but I don’t recall ever squawking 2000 elsewhere. Is it really in common use in other places?

The procedure is outlined in this CAA circular local copy

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

Discussed previously.

Anyway, I agree. It will create even more confusion, particularly amongst visiting pilots from the continent. It will come on top of “pass your message”, what service do you require", “it’s a basic service”, “QFE”, “RPS”, “freecall” enroute" and all the other funny UK stuff.

The verbal response is the same (“Squawk Conspicuity”) and the action is to squawk either 7000 (VFR) or 2000 (IFR) depending on your flight conditions.

AFAIU, it is not flight conditions, but flight rules (the “R” in IFR and VFR stands for “rules”).

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

AFAIU, it is not flight conditions, but flight rules (the “R” in IFR and VFR stands for “rules”).

Indeed:

3.2 The choice of whether to select VFR conspicuity or IFR conspicuity is based on the flight rules being followed by the pilot not the
meteorological conditions encountered.

However, a couple of points occur to me:

1. Do we think that there is any chance of route charges being raised as a result of squawking 2000? That might be, shall we say, a barrier to entry.
  2. Most modern transponders have a neat button marked VFR which is set to squawk 7000. The fact that VFR is a much simpler sequence than 2000, that might, too, be a reason that people don’t bother to comply.
EGKB Biggin Hill

Of course almost nobody will bother. a) because of ignorance and b) if you are OCAS, I can’t think of any practical advantage, for the pilot, in ATC seeing on their screens that you are flying IFR.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I can see lots of “What?” “Say Again” from foreign pilots. I certainly don’t think it’s bringing the UK more into line with other countries. I’ve not heard it anywhere.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

2000 has long been there as an IFR conspicuity code and I have heard it being requested in some countries (Denmark comes to mind? Maybe Netherlands? I can’t remember) but this is the first I have heard of it being the rule rather than the exception.

I guess that it being unique to the UK is no great surprise as the UK is the only place where IFR OCAS is also the rule rather than the exception (and long may that continue.)

EGKB Biggin Hill

dublinpilot wrote:

I can see lots of “What?” “Say Again” from foreign pilots.

I suspect from a lot of Local pilots also if ATC use the words“Squawk Conspicuity”. In reality it will be quickly dropped and replaced with either “Squawk 7000” or “Squawk 2000”.

Regards, SD..

I’m trying to correctly pronounce “Conspicuity” whole afternoon and I’m not progressing much

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

You must tear up your English Language Proficiency immediately and start again.

In English traffic court, people have to read the word “conscientiously” on a regular basis, causing much embarrassment to native and non-native people alike. We now read it to them and get them to agree.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Would “Squawk VFR” or “Squawk IFR” be any better?

55 Posts
Sign in to add your message