Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Squawk Conspicuity

“Telling you to instead “Squawk Conspicuity” is, I think, quite a neat solution to the problem which, like it or not, exists”

I think they should have left it as sqwak 7000 and leave those who wants to “self-declare IFR” switch to 2000 when they like, at least it is inline with airspace design & atc practice and expectations on clerances, being IFR while sqwaking 7000 was never a problem (as much as weired as it seems) it only become a problem when “Class E+” was invented !

If you are receiving any meaningful Radar Service while IFR you will not be on 7000/2000….

I don’t think being on 2000 vs 7000 does make any difference to the pilot or ATC if you are unkown traffic, they will still apply VFR-IFR “distanciation” and IFR-IFR separation for Class G Deconfliction Service and it will be 5nm/3000ft, but I expect a red blip when 2000 hit CAS while it is now orange for 7000 hitting CAS (including class E+ for IFR)

Last Edited by Ibra at 16 Aug 18:14
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

I think they should have left it as sqwak 7000 and leave those who wants to “self-declare IFR” switch to 2000 when they like

That’s fine if the only options were 2000 or 7000, but my point above was that there are a lot of options that can be used for ‘conspicuity’ other than 2000 and 7000. See UK AIP ENR 1.6 Section 2.2.

In fact, if indeed the only options were 2000 or 7000 then the controller could just tell you to use the one based on your flight rules whilst under their control.

S57
EGBJ, United Kingdom

I don’t think it is related to FMC, listen sqwaks or special codes, all countries have some of these but all will still say “sqwak VFR”, in the UK that would be an insult to IFR in Class E+

The UK had FMCs since Olympics in 2012 and special codes while ago, this “conspicuity” did come after UK got 2000 for IFR last March with SERA…

In the US you get “sqwak VFR” that means 1200 (low VFR), 1400 (high VFR) or 2000 (leaving ADIZ), it is not complicated

Ibra wrote:

all countries have some of these but all will still say “sqwak VFR”

Well, no… In Sweden you’re asked to squawk 7000.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

That is what I mean VFR/7000, but you can set a special code on your own after? How does it work for IFR in class G in sweden without clearance?

Last Edited by Ibra at 16 Aug 19:26

What is class E+ please and is it marked like that on UK charts?

France

It is Class E + TMZ or Class E + RMZ or Class E + (TMZ or RMZ) or Class E + (TMZ and RMZ).
At present only the first and last are used. There are an airspace proposal in progress using the 3rd.

It got the Class E light blue edge and the blue or purple (or both alterning) RMZ/TMZ semi-circles.

Nympsfield, United Kingdom

I am aware that despite SERA each country seems to approach IFR in class G differently. In France you do not need clearance for IFR in class G but you do need to be above 3000ft , have 2 way communication with ATS and have filed a flight plan
But it does seem to me that the UK has a goal of making IFR as complicated and difficult for non UK based pilots as possible.

France

Ibra wrote:

That is what I mean VFR/7000, but you can set a special code on your own after? How does it work for IFR in class G in sweden without clearance?

You get a discrete transponder code when you first call FIS. (Actually, you call ATC which also acts as FIS for class G airspace below.)

In practise, uncontrolled IFR in Sweden works just like controlled IFR except that you get traffic information rather than separation.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

(Actually, you call ATC which also acts as FIS for class G airspace below.)

I think that would be a brilliant solution to the UK problem but wait ATC (NATS) do not want to go down to earth or at least to MVA (still want to know flight rules of those flying in OCAS or under CAS without offering any service or IFR OCAS calling them or calling other FIS/ATC )

Last Edited by Ibra at 17 Aug 07:46
Sign in to add your message