Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

New Member - SkyWagon from Turkey

Hello Fellow Pilots;

I am Jim, “SkyWagon” from Turkey and finally decided to sign up here. I always appreciate the information coming from people on the scene. I am quite happy to find this forum and many thanks to founders and people supplying lots of information.

Let me introduce myself to you a bit. I am a resigned Army Aviator, and currently flying for an airline in Turkey, with B737NG. My base is LTBJ. I have been flying since 1999, began flying with gliders, Cessna 172 -182 – 185 variants, Cessna 421, helicopters namely Huey and Blackhawks. My single engine piston experience is mostly based on C185 SkyWagon,lovely taildragger and I learnt a lot from her, that is why I always use SkyWagon as a nickname all kind of forums. And , YES , I flew the one at my avatar. I also did some flight instruction at T182T G1000 .

What I feel recently I am lacking my flight pleasure in the airline business, and decided to buy a single engine piston and I have been searching for it couple of months. Since I am quite busy during high season , from May to November , I also plan to hire my airplane, because there is a market here, at least I ponder I could spare some buck for the maintenance and other expenses. I am about to make a decision, but frankly speaking I am a keen listener when it comes to experience about anything.

I will fly her from Germany to Turkey by myself after having renewed my SEP and SEP FI section of my ATPL(A) licence. So many questions to ask and many threads to read about this ferry flight. I will keep you updated.

Regards

Safe Landings

Last Edited by SkyWagon at 07 Dec 09:33
Fly , Cycle and Run
LTBJ,LTFB, Turkey

Welcome! Great to have a turkey insider present. I can relate to your attraction to ga from the airline point of view, I have similar notions. How is ga flying in turkey? Ifr seems straightforward but what about vfr?

always learning
LO__, Austria

Thanks a lot Snoopy, I have been boeing for 7 years and I think I am out of the GA world in my country. Since the huge demand of pilots , flight schools dominate the so called “GA” here. What I can tell my VFR experience stems from military flights, and for me VFR flight is easy in my country, assured that you are not entering a congested TMAs , like İstanbul, Ankara and Antalya, but Turkish AIP is full of special procedures about this TMAs, how to fly VFR, ALT restrictions and so on .

I hope I can pass my experience after I would transformed to VFR flight again.

Last Edited by SkyWagon at 07 Dec 09:43
Fly , Cycle and Run
LTBJ,LTFB, Turkey

A very noble type the C-185 – there is an early 185B which has been a hangar mummy for many years here in the UK

Very original 1650 lbs empty weight so in many ways lighter than the later E and F models. Might not get into some Super Cub strips but a super capable machine.

Have made it to Bulgaria-would be nice to have real local knowledge of Turkey GA

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Hey Robert, thanks a lot. I wish I have a chance to fly with her again and do some landings without “seeing the runway” , yoke on my belly. I ensure I would pass a lot info as soon as I get back to real flying.

Fly , Cycle and Run
LTBJ,LTFB, Turkey
Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

SkyWagon wrote:

What I feel recently I am lacking my flight pleasure in the airline business, and decided to buy a single engine piston and I have been searching for it couple of months.

Have you found an aeroplane to buy?

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

WilliamF wrote:

Have you found an aeroplane to buy?

William, yes, I found some airplanes. I am especially looking for Piper PA28 series, Warrior and Archers, still at the handshakes sequence(price negotiation) with the owners and brokers.

Fly , Cycle and Run
LTBJ,LTFB, Turkey

SkyWagon wrote:

I am especially looking for Piper PA28 series, Warrior and Archers,

Be very sure you are aware of the implications of present and future wing spar inspections for these types. I don’t think that the other shoe has dropped yet at the FAA. I have done the spar inspection on a Warrior back in 1988, when it was then an AD, and it was a lot of work. If this inspection is made mandatory again, and worse, if the inspection turns up a defect, the plane will be required to have a very expensive repair. I notice that there are more than the usual number of PA-28’s being offered for sale in my area, and prices are low. This is a caution. Know before you buy.

Many Cessnas have structural concerns too, so it’s not only PA-28’s to be cautious about. Aging aircraft require an up to date understanding of structural concerns unique to the type. Happily, the 185 is among the Cessnas are not on the list of concerned types right now, so if you can find a good 185, that would be a plane of choice for sure!

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

Pilot_Dar , thanks a lot about your advice. I am loooking for 2000 and over models, but I read a lot about the 1988 AD. I hope I can find my own 185, I love that airplane so much, because she is always awesome to my eyes.

Last Edited by SkyWagon at 08 Dec 05:21
Fly , Cycle and Run
LTBJ,LTFB, Turkey
32 Posts
Sign in to add your message