Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Sad but quite interesting (French accident statistics)

Best advice I had for manoeuvre is take anything it to 3000ft, first stall it to get your Vs0 (not worth anything really as if you stall at 600ft you are done) then 10min of slow flight on fixed heading with max power and no power, then 10min of slow flight medium & steep turns to +/-90deg headings with and without power, I also do the turns without looking to aircraft nose or inside the cockpit or airspeed, just by ref to ground point and aircraft wing, I beleive this should cover LOC accidents…

I also find this to build my landing currency better than banging expensive T&Gs with 5seconds flares

I agree with Jacko point, this is the least explored point in flight enveloppe as there is always someone who tells you you should not fly slow untill you do !

Last Edited by Ibra at 23 Feb 15:32
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

not worth anything really as if you stall at 600ft you are done

I hope not, a one turn spin might use 600 feet, but a standard stall recovery at first indication should not use more than 200 feet of altitude.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Wing level and low power is a gentle 100ft nose drop, unexpected accelerated stall on high power may eat 400ft by the time I figure out it is actually a dive out of a spin

Last Edited by Ibra at 23 Feb 16:16
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Uh, a PT-22 – I had no idea there even was one in France.

Airborne_Again wrote:

Precisely because of that maybe should indeed peel off “unnecessary” skills.

I don’t understand what you mean, because if we do, this will be like every GA pilot should have CPL/IR as mentioned above, and only fly after strict procedure from A to B. While this certainly would improve the safety record tremendously, it would also kill 99% of private GA. You don’t fix a brain tumor by removing the entire brain.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

It’s a very interesting discussion.

I wonder if low currency is the biggest single factor. There have been posts here by French pilots (nobody else could do it ) about the very low average annual hours flown. At such a low level of currency, all kinds of mistakes will be made, even in basic aircraft handling.

On proper IFR flights, CFITs tend to have a complicated line-up of holes in the cheese. I doubt these feature much in the French statistics. They rarely feature in the UK ones.

On “VFR” flights it involves at least several routes

• In VMC, it tends to be either a stall/spin loss of control (quite common) or a cockup involving getting too close to terrain and not having the rate of climb to get out
  • In IMC, it tends to be a loss of control upon IMC entry, though sometimes it can be a “classic CFIT” especially if a non instrument capable pilot is flying on autopilot

But I think the biggest thing, in all these crashes on clear days, is very low pilot currency.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

LeSving wrote:

I don’t understand what you mean, because if we do, this will be like every GA pilot should have CPL/IR as mentioned above, and only fly after strict procedure from A to B. While this certainly would improve the safety record tremendously, it would also kill 99% of private GA. You don’t fix a brain tumor by removing the entire brain.

If you realise you don’t understand what I mean, you shouldn’t draw any conclusions from it.

Anyway I can’t explain it better.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 23 Feb 20:50
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Peter wrote:

In VMC, it tends to be either a stall/spin loss of control (quite common)

That would be a LOC accident and not a CFIT, wouldn’t it?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Sure.

I don’t think a “classic CFIT” (flying into a rock while having a cup of coffee, etc) has ever been done in reasonable VMC

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message