Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Jetplan now behind a paywall - icing forecast?

This icing forecast used to be freely accessible but is now behind the Jep paywall. It is actually rather good (it’s not simply “cloud and negative temps → icing” like the sigwx charts), more than Gramet, and it was part of my pre-flight routine.

What do people use for icing forecast ?

EGTF, LFTF

Flugwetter DWD ADWICE. Its very good IMHO gives you depending on the time and flight level you want to fly a color coded indication of light moderate and severe. You need access to the DWD service anyway in combination with ADL.

EBST

Vref wrote:

You need access to the DWD service anyway in combination with ADL.

Since two years or so you don’t.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Ahh Ok didn’t know that one :-), I was an early adopter, thanks for sharing. Anyway its worth the money to have a decent icing forecast local copy and of course all the rest of the weather info…

Last Edited by Vref at 21 Dec 18:35
EBST

I don’t think any ice forecast is worth anything much. I have found that IMC, below 0C, and above about -10C, produces ice pretty reliably.

I have in the past had access to the DWD ice forecasts and found them basically worthless, compared to what was seen on a real flight.

It probably depends on what anti ice equipment you have. If you have boots then you can deal with icing conditions enroute for some time. If you have TKS then you have maybe an hour so the enroute ice protection is quite limited.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

In my experience, Peter, the Jep forecast was very good – very few false positives and no false negatives.

EGTF, LFTF

denopa wrote:

his icing forecast used to be freely accessible but is now behind the Jep paywall.

Is that the same one that is in the JeppFD Mobile IFR app?

ELLX
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message