Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cringeworthy landings / instruction

This video is scary! As an instructor I would never let the student go that far.
Certainly, the root factor is airspeed and AOA. Just watch how they approach over the threshold and the nose position. I would first work on this before moving to the flare technique.

Don't get too slow
LECU, Spain

The question is: Are more accidents caused by planes flying too slow or too fast? :)

That’s a good question. It seems to me that there are lots of accidents flying too fast. Bouncing and ending up nose down. Non fatal, but substantial damage.

Flying too slow. Stalling and falling to the ground is one of the highest killers.

Both are due to lack of control when coming down to it, not too much speed or too little speed.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Can anyone tell me why they did a go around in the third landing? Seemed too high and a bit off centerline, but there’s plenty of rilunway to correct that, isn’t there?

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

LeSving wrote:

That’s a good question. It seems to me that there are lots of accidents flying too fast. Bouncing and ending up nose down. Non fatal, but substantial damage.

Anecdotally, all landing accidents I know about in my club were caused by too high speed rather than too low speed.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Because the slow ones stallspun into the ground before landing :) ?

always learning
LO__, Austria

Nevertheless the best landings are fully stalled in ground effect, but you need an adequate speed over the threshold

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

[short runways] My comment was concerning PPL training. They way it is done in the UK would not work there.

It works fine in the UK. Plenty of people train at short grass airfields if you care to look further north than the Watford Gap :-)

Netherthorpe (near Sheffield) – TORA of 382m on runway 18 and 490m on 24. They train with C152s and C172s there. They also manage it at Barton (and I know they do, because I once rented an aircraft rom the flight school there which operated C152s and 172s).

Andreas IOM

I honestly think it is good to train on a long runway but fully heldoff landings without much fuss on shooting the numbers, students can go solo after 5h and then teach short field landings separatly

Rather than having all in one bag, short field techniques for long runways or the opposite 65kts over the hedge of a 300m runway in a C172

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I would say flying an approach too slow is always dangerous, while flying too fast is only a problem if you don’t have enough runway to compensate.

I once turned up 800 ft above the threshold of 09L at EDDV, flying 80 kts and with a slight tailwind, in a C172R. With full flaps and power idle, I made a perfect landing exactly on the “light aircraft touchdown” markings. Runway 09L is 3500 m long..

Last Edited by MedEwok at 25 Dec 13:46
Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

MedEwok wrote:

I would say flying an approach too slow is always dangerous, while flying too fast is only a problem if you don’t have enough runway to compensate.

That’s true if you adjust your aiming point to be further down the runway. If you don’t, you’ll spend a long time in the flare which is bad as the aircraft is difficult to control, e.g. with a crosswind. Or even worse, you force the aircraft onto the runway.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message