Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Anthony has had enough...

One UK entrepreneur who flies his Cirrus SR22T for business pretty much sums up the problem with the air traffic/airport situation there. Rant starts at 11:18 after the flight (where they barely make it in to Blackpool). I have to say I agree with him 100%. Like he says – start thinking of the ways to achieve this, rather than the million ways you can’t. It’s a mindset. We have the same mindset in Sweden, so it’s not just the UK.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 06 Jan 05:44

AdamFrisch wrote:

We have the same mindset in Sweden

We do?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

He’s 100% right

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

About what?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Business plan of European airport = get as little acft in as possible

EBST, Belgium

airways wrote:

get as little acft in as possible

Brits were genius with the invention of “strictly-private-exclusive-PPR” but that did not result in much business though

Last Edited by Ibra at 06 Jan 12:58
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Warning: Rant to follow

I think a lot of it comes to representation and pushing the case.

I have a high level of confidence that if there is suddenly pressure from society that demands point-to-point flying such as air taxis (https://www.slashgear.com/air-taxis-how-will-they-work-29604605/) that regulation and the safety cases will suddenly change. Propositions that were previously turned down as too risky suddenly become acceptable and tolerable.

In almost all cases, regulations are a reflection of society, their perception and political risk appetite. People/the press get all worked up about someone dying as a result of an air accident but no one gets as terribly and equally worked up about deaths on motorways or during diving, skiing and other types of business and recreational activities. What is it with aviation that has in many countries created such a low level of risk appetite, which in turn results in the high level of regulation? Just imagine someone only be able to go skiing after they have passed a theory and practical test with regulations for slots/flow control for maximum number of skiers on a slope, speed limits, fines for skiing off-piste etc. What about lighting fireworks on New Year’s Eve?

I am amazed following the debate that is taking place in Germany regarding speed limits: Although most safety studies say that a speed limit of 120-130 km/h most likely reduces the rate of accidents/fatalities on motorways, speed limits won’t change (i.e. no speed limits on many sections on the motorways) as there is a strong enough lobby against speed limits and the overall tone is that it is part of the “accepted way of life”.

So is the only realistic sustainable way to change aviation regulations to work on society’s perceptions of aviation? In the US, there is a much higher acceptance of general/business aviation as a mode of transport than in most parts of the world and that is reflected in the risk appetite that comes through regulation. It is also interesting to see the general correlation of aviation freedom and personal freedom in a country: Generally the more restrictive a country is with respect to personal freedom/freedom of expression, the more restrictive the aviation laws are, including the permit/bureaucracy regime…

Last Edited by wbardorf at 06 Jan 14:21
EGTF, EGLK, United Kingdom

No lobby, no progress :-/

EBST, Belgium

A great video. Agree fully with him.

EGLM & EGTN

AOPA is one of the biggest and most powerful lobbies in US government circles, with corresponding results. As mentioned, no lobby no progress.

LSZK, Switzerland
41 Posts
Sign in to add your message