Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Speed loss in a turn

The article I read suggested no extra power was added during the turn.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

In which case it would have been a descending turn. The energy has to come from somewhere.

Andreas IOM

alioth wrote:

In which case it would have been a descending turn. The energy has to come from somewhere.

Exactly, in a level turn it is impossible without adding power.

Last Edited by JasonC at 14 Jan 10:35
EGTK Oxford

Peter wrote:

The article I read suggested no extra power was added during the turn

While dropping bombs or rockets? canon ammunition may slow you down
There is a myth than on A10 Thunderbolt you will stall if you fire that powerful gun in a steep turn

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I’m sorry but to maintain 450kts during a high load turn in an F-16 you have to select AB.

Fighter pilots use a lot the term “energy”. The energy is always a combination of speed, altitude, AOA (drag), etc… in every fighter performance manual (Vol. 2) you can find all the tables and graphs to optimize the gain/loss of your energy. We call that the Ps graphs. For a particular aircraft configuration you can find the Ps 0 meaning that no loss of energy is perceived for a particular G-load, altitude and speed. Of course there are graphs for MIL power and AB power.

Don't get too slow
LECU, Spain

Sounds like the guy who wrote that article I read wasn’t aware the afterburner was on

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

There is a myth than on A10 Thunderbolt you will stall if you fire that powerful gun in a steep turn

Then don’t :)

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

“wasn’t aware the afterburner was on”

I guess so, high likely he was distracted while being busy looking for the noise certificate in the back folder

Last Edited by Ibra at 15 Jan 13:47
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
18 Posts
Sign in to add your message