Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Attitude / personality test

This test probably has the same predictive value as the carefully designed and scientifically evaluated surveys found in Cosmopolitan.

They reveal more about the writers than about who is taking the test. E.g., whether you are pro- and anti-authority is derived from questions whether you believe the FAA is helpful or not. Any psychologist will laugh at that; anti-authority attitudes are associated with disregard for rules, at the extreme end breaking rules for the sake of it...

And associating being macho with practicing certain manoeuvres frequently [hey, I am instructor, I teach these things, they are in the syllabus for a reason, and I happen to like my job].... oh dear.

Biggin Hill

I am very Pro Microsoft, but was very Anti Windows 8 (to the point my next major Desktop would have been Ubuntu), however once I downloaded the free Start menu for Windows 8, it now boots straight into the Desktop, rather than the tiles thing, and you can navigate to all of your applications properly. Now I like Windows again. When I have used other people's Windows 8 PC's without the Start menu download, it baffles me.

I rather like Windows 8. Hmmmm, worrying. Perhaps its because I know little about the inner workings of IT. It must just work then I am happy. I am intrigued by PiperArcher's comment about downloading a start thingy. Assume that will make the 8 experience a better experience?

Always looking for adventure
Shoreham

That seemed to me to say more about what kind of aptitude is needed of a pilot (calmness through induced stress), than the FAA questions.

That may be in a military context, and that is what they were doing with the astronauts, but I don't think it is useful for a civilian pilot.

A commercial pilot makes a go/no-go decision according to supposedly strict guidelines, where even things like a PROB30 TEMPO have a specific meaning attached in terms of fuel required for alternates etc, and have a different meaning if the forecast is forecasting a persistent condition e.g. fog. There probably is stress involved, especially when working for certain well known low cost airlines (current headlines in the UK and probably Ireland too) and the hours are often crap but otherwise I don't see it as a stress-packed job.

A private pilot should also not be stressed. Only a series of bad decisions, followed by going flying, should lead to a high stress level. Passengers can cause more trouble than most things, especially if you made the mistake of taking somebody who "has to be at work Monday morning or will get the boot".

just give someone Windows 8

Completely agree

But one could make the same comment about a great deal of IT. A lot of it simply doesn't work.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

This thread reminded me of that fairly mediocre 'Bush Pilot's' TV programme a while back, but one thing that I did recall was that some wannabe pilots were put through an aptitude test. One of the tests was to subject the pilot to a tedious, repetitive annoying computer programme, to try and 'break' the pilot and seeing how long until they stress out. That seemed to me to say more about what kind of aptitude is needed of a pilot (calmness through induced stress), than the FAA questions.

These days, you don't need a sophisticated programme designed by a Doctorate of Psychology, just give someone Windows 8 and deny them the right to download the very wonderful Start Menu, and see how long until they 'break' ;-)

Mine are like this:

• Macho 9
  • Resignation 6
  • Anti-Authority 20
  • Worry 14
  • Impulsivity 16
  • Self-Confidence 15

Particularly I like the Anti-Authority score, that's really a hit. Nothing to do with ATC though (I like them pretty much), rather with FAA (EASA) questions.

BTW, I really don't like that kind of training like stalls, unusual attitudes, not to speak about spins. I never trained sliding or emergency breaking or other crazy maneuvers in my car and never had an accident worth to speak about and I have well over 700 000 km under my belt. In my opinion it is far better to train not to get into stall/spin situation than to provoke your "good angels" by deliberately stalling/spinning the aircraft. Just my opinion, maybe my instructor was way too keen to teach me stalls back then :-)

Miroc

LZTR, Slovakia

I too suspect "Macho" is due to strongly agreeing to liking to practise airwork

I don't know. I do that on every flight as an instructor (and therefore ticked the appropriate boxes) but only scored 15 Macho points... but not spins so maybe Macho comes mainly from spinning?

EDDS - Stuttgart

Hmmm....

Hazardous Attitude
Score Macho
23 Resignation 6 Anti-Authority
13 Worry
12 Impulsivity 16 Self-Confidence 16

I too suspect "Macho" is due to strongly agreeing to liking to practise airwork (stalls, steep turns etc). Those things are just the basics at remaining proficient with stick and rudder skills, which are quite important to maintain (especially if you fly gliders, where you tend to fly steep turns nibbling the stall to try and remain in tight thermals). I just don't see that as macho (neither do I see aerobatics as macho, if you like doing them ...well, you like doing them). Perhaps doing aerobatics in a non-aero approved aircraft with 3 passengers would be the result of a macho attitude, or perhaps intentional low aerobatics while not having the appropriate waivers or training, but I don't do that sort of thing.

Andreas IOM

M-20 R-10 AA-12 W-13 Imp-13 SelfC-12 I also think the Macho score is due to stalls, steep turns, and unusual attitudes - no spins as I haven't had access to a spin certified aircraft for several years. I'm the least self confident person so far. I put "Neither agree nor disagree" to quite a few.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message