Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Landings at Megara LGMG limited to max demo crosswind in the POH

This is a new one!

Let’s hope other airports don’t get the same idea.

Google translation:

From December 1, aircraft landing at LGMG Airport will be limited to the Maximum Demonstrated Component as stated in the aircraft flight manual.
Landings at Megara airport LGMG are restricted to the Maximum Demonstrated Component of the aircraft’s flight manual.
We hope that the signer of the order is NOT an airplane operator and apparently does not know what the max wind demonstrated component means because if he knew it he would never sign this unexplained, unforeseen and absurd order. But isn’t there a consultant?
According to world aviation legislation, no mandatory wind turbulence threshold is set or applied anywhere in the world. World originality once again!
We are aware of the source of this inspiration, which is evidently due to the increased work of the Veterans of the Tower of the Greats who do their work professionally and conscientiously. Most of the time even with the above.
The solution to the problem is to immediately staff the tower with additional staff and abolish this irrational order.
Fortunately, this does not apply to helicopters, but the arbitrariness and dismantling of General Aviation in Greece is a concern for us all.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I would be surprised if they can actually enforce this self made up rule and if so, on what legal basis.

Max demonstrated crosswind is not an aircraft limitation.

Maybe we can start some kind of prize for most “original” rule?
With proper marketing, the shaming that would come with it might give some pause to people coming up with these ideas.

EHLE, Netherlands

And how are they going to know? Many aircraft don’t even have this in their AFM (they are too old; my plane’s manual has complete instructions on how to disassemble and reassemble the entire airframe (!) but doesn’t even mention crosswinds). Is the guy in the tower going to have a huge list of maximum demonstrated crosswinds, and look them up before giving a landing clearance to whatever plane’s on final? Unenforcable and completely bizarre.

Andreas IOM

It is amazing how you can overregulate stuff in aviation.

ESSZ, Sweden

I’m pretty sure Kip is already on this since he’s based there

LIPR, Italy

hmng wrote:

Maybe we can start some kind of prize for most “original” rule?
With proper marketing, the shaming that would come with it might give some pause to people coming up with these ideas.

Be careful what you wish for. The UK hi-viz Nazis might get ideas….

alioth wrote:

And how are they going to know?

They have a list. @Petakas can publish a picture of it if he wants, I don’t want to publish his copyrighted material without his permission. What if your airplane is not on the list? No idea.

ESME, ESMS

Dimme wrote:

They have a list. @Petakas can publish a picture of it if he wants, I don’t want to publish his copyrighted material without his permission. What if your airplane is not on the list? No idea.

Two years or so ago, the POH for the Cessna 172S was updated to increase the demo x-wind from 15 to 20 knots. Do they keep track of such things at LGMG? What about STCs that affect the demo x-wind? What utter nonsense!

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

The owner of the airport is free to enforce any silly rule he wants. Only those born on a Wednesday are allowed ti use this airport. Only those with a certified aircraft are allowed to use this airport. Only those who pay me €300 are allowed to use this airport. and the list goes on. I would say max demonstrated cross wind is one of the less silly rules.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
43 Posts
Sign in to add your message