Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

N-reg rental / Alps / FAA CFI

Yes, that’s exactly right.

Perhaps it helps to bear in mind that the altiport/altisurface malarkey is a national requirement. Some EU member states require a “mountain qualification” for some aerodromes for some aircraft. Not for ULM in France, for instance. Some member states don’t bother, even for airports like Hoogeveen in the Dutch Alps.

The EASA MOU rating is recognised as such a qualification; but if you don’t have an EASA licence you may, for instance, get a letter from the DGAC “valant qualification montagne”. Or for a French altiport, all of which are pretty easy, you can just get a logbook entry by a mountain instructor.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Thanks

always learning
LO__, Austria

OK, Ive learnt something. (if I understand the post above properly)

I thought that there was only the option to get a local checkout for various restricted use aerodromes with a mountain rated instructor if you do not have an EASA license with a mountain rating, and he signed your logbook for that aerodrome. I did not know you could get a Mountain Rating without having an EASA License.

Regards, SD..

Jacko wrote:

Some member states don’t bother, even for airports like Hoogeveen in the Dutch Alps

Maybe you mean an EASA MOU rating for the Vaalserberg?
Otherwise 3 national ratings (Belgium, Germany, Netherlands)

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I did not know you could get a Mountain Rating without having an EASA License.

Well, you can’t get a EASA mountain rating on an FAA certificate or a British national licence, for instance, because there’s no such rating those countries.

What we got from the DGAC is a letter and certificate like this:

Monsieur,
Veuillez trouver, ci-joint, votre attestation valant pour qualification montagne roues a
joindre avotre licence britannique de pilote prive avion.
Je vous prie de croire, Monsieur, aI’assurance de ma consideration distinguee.
Bureau des licences

Roughly translated:
Please find attached your certificate valid as a mountain qualification (wheels) to attach to your British private pilot licence.

Whether such a certificate would have been/would now be recognised outside France is a question we never bothered to ask…

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message