Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

N-reg rental / Alps / FAA CFI

I did not know you could get a Mountain Rating without having an EASA License.

Well, you can’t get a EASA mountain rating on an FAA certificate or a British national licence, for instance, because there’s no such rating those countries.

What we got from the DGAC is a letter and certificate like this:

Monsieur,
Veuillez trouver, ci-joint, votre attestation valant pour qualification montagne roues a
joindre avotre licence britannique de pilote prive avion.
Je vous prie de croire, Monsieur, aI’assurance de ma consideration distinguee.
Bureau des licences

Roughly translated:
Please find attached your certificate valid as a mountain qualification (wheels) to attach to your British private pilot licence.

Whether such a certificate would have been/would now be recognised outside France is a question we never bothered to ask…

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Jacko wrote:

Some member states don’t bother, even for airports like Hoogeveen in the Dutch Alps

Maybe you mean an EASA MOU rating for the Vaalserberg?
Otherwise 3 national ratings (Belgium, Germany, Netherlands)

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

OK, Ive learnt something. (if I understand the post above properly)

I thought that there was only the option to get a local checkout for various restricted use aerodromes with a mountain rated instructor if you do not have an EASA license with a mountain rating, and he signed your logbook for that aerodrome. I did not know you could get a Mountain Rating without having an EASA License.

Regards, SD..

Thanks

always learning
LO__, Austria

Yes, that’s exactly right.

Perhaps it helps to bear in mind that the altiport/altisurface malarkey is a national requirement. Some EU member states require a “mountain qualification” for some aerodromes for some aircraft. Not for ULM in France, for instance. Some member states don’t bother, even for airports like Hoogeveen in the Dutch Alps.

The EASA MOU rating is recognised as such a qualification; but if you don’t have an EASA licence you may, for instance, get a letter from the DGAC “valant qualification montagne”. Or for a French altiport, all of which are pretty easy, you can just get a logbook entry by a mountain instructor.

Just trying to wrap my head around the part where someone with a FAA PPL gets a mountain endorsement from an EASA FI… do I get this right?

always learning
LO__, Austria

Sorry, I should’ve made clear:

FI with mountain rating is an ordinary instructor who has a mountain rating.

FIM is a mountain rating instructor.

Would N-reg + FAA license + EASA FI M work?

Yes. That’s what I had when I did the MOU rating – plus my EASA licence which is now obligatory for EU residents. But if all you want is an altiport authorisation, you can do the training with an ordinary instructor who has a mountain rating and then have a proper mountain rating instructor sign it in your logbook.

For an altiport checkout you need at least an EASA FI who has a mountain rating for the training and an EASA FIM to sign it in your log.

What’s the difference between FI with mountain rating and „FIM“?

I did most of the MOU training in an N-reg as well as the checkride.

Would N-reg + FAA license + EASA FI M work?

Thank you!

always learning
LO__, Austria

For an altiport checkout you need at least an EASA FI who has a mountain rating for the training and an EASA FIM to sign it in your log.

There may be some FI-MOU or FIM who are also FAA CFI (you could ask Martin Skacel at the OeGPV) but it’s not necessary unless you’re dead set on doing a BFR on the same flight.

I did most of the MOU training in an N-reg as well as the checkride.

You could also call the Megève Aeroclub. If there’s an FI-MOU or FIM who is also FAA CFI they probably know him or her.

1) & 3) don’t mix very well “FAA-MOU”?

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message