Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Complete loss of GPS position yesterday

Peter wrote:

Personally I would always fly an ILS even if I had LPV, because while the tracking (with a modern GPS navigator, and roll steering to the autopilot) will be much better – laterally – with LPV, the signal processing is much more robust on an ILS.

You would only do this until you had flown a bunch of LPV approaches. I gave up flying ILS except for practice about a dozen years ago, too much work (manage VLOC or GPS source, tune ILS, identify ILS, switch back to GPS for miss), too many S turns on final due to crosswind or vehicles/aircraft, snow on the ground, Autopilot unusable below, … In my neck of the woods, the GS is out of service more than LPV 200 is unavailable, which is virtually never. Lightning strikes on the localizer or GS antenna getting the system knocked out for a week at a time doesn’t happen with LPV.

KUZA, United States

I tune in the ILS anyways if available and identify it – in that case something goes wrong with the LPV the backup plan is just one push of a (VLOC-)Button away.

Then I have the entire glide slope time to think about how I will fly the missed in case as GPS doesn’t seem to be available…

Germany
22 Posts
Sign in to add your message