Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying in the empty skies / getting back in the air during/after the corona shutdown

I think some of CAT’s customers are never coming back. Companies all over the world will be discovering there’s plenty of meetings you can do purely online perfectly effectively, without the high expense of sending someone thousands of km by airliner then nights in a hotel. They were only doing this through sheer inertia, and now that’s gone, those customers are simply never coming back, ever. Obviously some business travel will survive (e.g. if you have to send an engineer somewhere to physically work on a customer’s machine) – but in our case, I doubt we’ll ever see e.g. Siemens on our site ever again for planning meetings where no physical work gets done (we used to have half a dozen of their people show up for two days of wall to wall meetings at massive expense).

If this results in a permanent decrease in CAT (or decrease in use of places like Farnboroug), I wonder if controlled airspace will be scaled back.

Last Edited by alioth at 02 May 19:04
Andreas IOM

alioth wrote:

If this results in a permanent decrease in CAT (or decrease in use of places like Farnboroug), I wonder if controlled airspace will be scaled back.

Controlled Airspace is like taxes. Once one gets established, it never gets abolished again.

In Germany we still pay a “champaign tax” that was originally introduced to help finance the building of the High Seas Fleet in the early 1900s…

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

MedEwok wrote:

Controlled Airspace is like taxes. Once one gets established, it never gets abolished again.

same goes for PPR and slots at airports. Right now, slots at ZRH are totally pointless, the airport is totally deserted with maybe 10 flights a day, yet GA still has the same slots available as before with lots of lock down times where you can’t fly at all. Sheer spite but impossible to beat. Maybe once they realize that really 50% or more of their business is gone for good… With the possible demise of Lufthansa that is a very real possibility as LH owns almost all airlines in this country but one which in turn is dependent on Swiss for subcharter work…

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

As I’ve often said, Arthur Scargill picked the wrong business. Coalmining was way too visible. He should have got into aviation; he could have been destroying everything around him well into his 80s and nobody would have done anything about it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

loco wrote:

Then there’s the govt app that asks for a selfie at random times and records your GPS coordinates. Be somewhere else and it’s EUR 6500.

You’re joking?

EGLM & EGTN

I think it will. It will also scale down the airplanes to smaller sizes.

Also, most of the airline business was nothing but a big bubble just waiting to collapse in any case. €39 to go to Riga to get a shave (people actually did that), or a London trip for €20, isn’t viable business in any stretch of the word. It’s a result of massive over capacity and fierce competition.

But never is a very long time though. Who knows what is going to happen 10-20 years from now? Nobody.

That’s the thing about the future. It’s unpredictable. This also shows the error in thought by environmentalists. They think the future is simply an extension of the present and the past. Nothing could be farther from the truth. Not a single environmental scientist predicted the present, that the entire airline business would be gone over night – globally. This is the main source of error in their models, nature’s unpredictability, and it hits like a sledge hammer, leaving all predictions worthless.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Graham wrote:

You’re joking?

He is not. Serious as COVID19.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

loco wrote:

Then there’s the govt app that asks for a selfie at random times and records your GPS coordinates

At TBM speeds it should not be a big problem to go back and overfly the house when the thing rings as long as they allow for “selfie make up time”

Last Edited by Ibra at 04 May 13:46
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

loco wrote:

Yeah, the problem is you can’t leave. Not even shopping. Then there’s the govt app that asks for a selfie at random times and records your GPS coordinates. Be somewhere else and it’s EUR 6500.

English language link here.

Straight from the horse’s mouth – Failure to comply with the self-quarantine rules may result in a fine of PLN 30 000 – kwarantanna_plakat_en_pdf

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland
Sign in to add your message