Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Another near miss

Just looking at the facts:
1. The Video is cut: It starts at a point where the other plane is already clearly visible
2. The Video is cropped: No usual camera has a square sensor
3. Field of view is perfect: The plane moves through the entire picture w/o moving the camera
4. The resolution is very low: The other plane is pixels in every single frame

5. The pilot doesn’t react at all (5b) even after the plane has passed and would should up directly in front slightly lower
6. The “cameraman” turns around slowly directly after the near hit
7. The cameraman does not try to follow the other plane through the windshield.

1-4 would be exactly what you would do if you fake such a film and are therefore very “unfortunate” if it’s authentic.
5 and 7 would support the idea that they only discovered the plane on the footage but did not realize it in flight but in that case 3 and 6 would be extremely unlikely as would be 5b.

I’d say it’s a fake!

Germany

Malibuflyer wrote:

3. Field of view is perfect: The plane moves through the entire picture w/o moving the camera

That’s exactly what you would expect on a collision course. (As Peter noted in the first post.)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

That’s exactly what you would expect on a collision course. (As Peter noted in the first

Not exactly as the FOV doesn’t show the entire window. If they only discovered it later on the footage it would be a great coincidence, that they actually had the FOV in a way where the aircraft actually started on top of the FOV and did not fly into the FOV from the top or started somewhere in the middle of the FoV

Last Edited by Malibuflyer at 28 May 17:47
Germany

Malibuflyer wrote:

Not exactly as the FOV doesn’t show the entire window. If they only discovered it later on the footage it would be a great coincidence, that they actually had the FOV in a way where the aircraft actually started on top of the FOV and did not fly into the FOV from the top or started somewhere in the middle of the FoV

I don’t follow the reasoning.

An aircraft on a straight collision course has the exact same bearing throughout, both in elevation and azimuth. If it is a near miss, then you would expect the aircraft to be essentially stationary in the FOV until it gets close at which point it would start move to the side or up/down. Which is exactly what the clip shows.

I don’t know if it is a fake or not, but your observation (3) is not an argument for that. If anything it is an argument against it being fake.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 28 May 19:38
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Near miss.. or near hit, it reminds me of George Carlin: „…boom, look, they nearly missed“.

always learning
LO__, Austria

At the end of the video, the pilot seems to be holding the yoke to bank left, but the pfd still shows the aircraft levelled…

I would say this is fake also, but it is very well done!

EDMG, Germany

Fake or not, it is a good illustration as this point is really valid

Airborne_Again wrote:

That’s exactly what you would expect on a collision course
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Not necessarily. Curved paths makes a very different view.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I have seen a few instances of this for real. Usually the target is spotted far too late to act.

That’s why I think the TAS605 installation I have was really worth the money. But still many fly non-txp. But far fewer do that above say 3000ft (in the UK, at least), so I don’t normally fly below that.

With curved paths it will of course look a bit different, but the same principle applies.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

LeSving wrote:

Not necessarily. Curved paths makes a very different view.

But they don’t get that close: you would spot them and act unlike a constant dot on your screen which gives you 3 seconds to spot & avoid before it fills up your whole vision field from a single dot…

I saw one where gliding both of us head-to-head with 10m or wingspan offset, me flying downwind and him a slight offset upwind, a big cross-section just appeared out of nowhere top left of the canopy then over the wing, I did not have the time to process or react it was just a lucky miss

Last Edited by Ibra at 29 May 10:22
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message