Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Question regarding FAA piggyback licence

So, probably stupid question, if you get a 61.75 based only on EASA SEP / VFR, can you then get an FAA IR on top of it?
And, if you would then amass enough IFR experience on FAA land, could you then ask EASA for the IR on that base?

Asking for an hypothetical friend….

EHLE, Netherlands

Yes in theory but that setup is flimsy and seems like a house of cards, no?

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

The CB IR route, ICAO IR to EASA IR conversion route, should work. It does not require you to have a PPL matching the IR AFAIK.

It is a conversion not a validation.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

A lot of people have added the standalone IR to a 61.75. Not sure why.

Because if you ever get a standalone certificate you can just take the IR across. If you are an experienced IR pilot, it is fairly trivial. You need to do a slightly different written and take a flight test which (including training) is a good intro to flying IFR in the US.

I did it on my PPL, then when I went from 61.75 PPL to standalone CPL, it just carried across. It was prob more relevant to me as I had an IR on my Australian licence which had expired so I needed to do a test flight somewhere and didn’t need it in Australia. But if not planning to move to a standalone at any point then I agree it is not necessary.

EGTK Oxford

hmng wrote:

Asking for an hypothetical friend….

If your going to all that trouble consider Part 61.65 (a) and (g) and find an examiner to do a combined test. You might have to learn some arcane FAA parts of the private syllabus such as pylon turns.

Ted
United Kingdom

Qalupalik wrote:

ClearProp, as you have previously held an IR-SPA you may avail of the cross-credit iaw appendix 8 to Part-FCL. That appendix was amended last November to cover renewals as well as revalidations. The statement given in the BCAA information notice Instrument Rating (IR) & Cross-credit system —INFO/L-LIC/EN/2018-001 (pdf link) — at para 2.8 is therefore not up to date.

When revalidating or renewing an IR it is necessary to hold a valid appropriate class or type rating or to be concurrently revalidating or renewing the appropriate class or type rating. This is covered in rules FCL.625 and FCL.625.A. Appendix 8 details what instrument competencies are to be demonstrated during the proficiency check(s) taking account of IR-MPA credit.

Can you try to explain in layman terms?
Let’s assume I go for a SEP renewal and related proficiency check, all I need is to do two approaches? Same if I were to do it on a MEP with the asymmetric element involved?

Germany

Yes in addition to the other items in section 3B (instrument flight), and in the case of the MEP class rating section 6 (simulated asymmetric flight) as well, of the proficiency check schedule. That schedule can be found in point B.5 of appendix 9 to Part-FCL (pdf link, pages 176–180). Section 3B requires one each of 2D and 3D operations to minimums. Section 6 requires a practice EFATO and two asymmetric approaches, one with a go-around and the other to a full-stop landing, all to be flown by sole reference to the instruments. The approaches required in sections 3B and 6 may be combined.

If you complete the instrument flight sections of the proficiency check in an MEP class and you hold (or you are also applying to hold) an SEP class rating then BCAA should endorse your licence with an IR-SPA valid for both SE and ME classes. That is a consequence of appendix 8 crediting rather than FCL.620(c).

However as you hold a valid MPA type rating and IR-MPA you may claim credit towards section 3B (instrument flight) in the proficiency check for an IR-SPA-ME, ie you do not need to attempt section 3B. You would however need to complete section 6 (simulated asymmetric flight) of the IR-SPA-ME proficiency check by sole reference to the instruments to renew the IR-SPA-ME. Note appendix 8 now covers renewal as well as revalidation.

The holder of a valid MPA type rating and IR-MPA may separately claim credit towards section 3B in the proficiency check for an IR-SPA-SE providing that, as stated in the bottom of the first table in appendix 8 (see above pdf, page 167), “within the preceding 12 months the applicants have flown at least three IFR departures and approaches exercising PBN privileges, including at least one RNP APCH approach on an SP class or type of aeroplane in SP operations”. It is unclear whether this is necessary when an IR-SPA-ME is renewed in accordance with the cross-credit mentioned above because an IR-SPA-ME includes IR-SPA-SE privileges.

On a side note, if your SEP class rating expired in the recent 3 years then refresher training, if any, in preparation for the SEP proficiency check may be done with an instructor outside of a pilot training organisation. The BCAA has produced a relevant information notice Refresher training for renewal of a class and type rating (version 3)—INFO/LIC/EN/2019-002 (pdf link) —and the specified course completion certificate may be found here (link).

London, United Kingdom

@Qalupalik I am in awe of your mastery of the flight regulations. I have a problem just working out the acronyms:)

France

Just copy & past or take snapshots and read those posts latter

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Bringing this up again (paging @Qalupalik especially):

Can a EASA License with
SINGLE ENGINE PISTON PIC IR
BOEING 737 PIC IR

lead to a
FAA 61.75 License with
ASEL
AMEL

?