Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Operation "Sunrise"

After a long pause in flying due to lock-down, which we spent far from Paris, I was finally able to fly again. Having done the customarily check-out, I was looking for ideas for pleasant flights within the 100km limit (this limit is cancelled from next Tuesday). And my fiancée got an idea as only her can get : “What about watching the sun rise from the air ?” “Where do you get such ideas?” was my reply But a rather attractive idea nonetheless, so I began setting up a plan. Problem : the sun rises around 6 am local

I came to the club the day before, in the late afternoon to check the airplane, its logs, its fuel on board (there was enough), disinfected it (mandatory in a club) cleaned the windshield etc…. then the longest day began

4 am : wake up. It happened perfectly with our sleep cycles, so we got up quickly and fresh.
5am : arrived at the airfield, right on schedule.

5.30am : engine is started

5.40am : take off. It was like flying through a dream, perfectly smooth.
Once in cruise, we had the pleasure to watch the sun slowly rise across the horizon. Wow.

And just by chance , we got right over Moulinsart, aka Cheverny (Tintin’s castle)

Which is very close (by air) to a much bigger and even more famous chateau : Chambord

Circling over Chambord at 6.10am, you just feel like the castle is yours 
Then it was time to head back, wondering if the people below you were already awake or not, thinking this day is already one of the best you can live
Golden hour began, which we will dedicate another flight later I suppose.

6:50am : engine shut. What, do I have to work now ?

8 am : stopping on the way home to buy a croissant. What else :)
For some of you it may be routine, for us it was just one my best flights ever.
Highly recommended

LFOU, France

Super nice idea, not that I am trying (more a sunset guy )

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

That’s wonderful!

EGLM & EGTN

my fiancée got an idea as only her can get : “What about watching the sun rise from the air ?”

You don’t know how lucky you are

I did this once, but in January. Getting up for the sunrise in late May takes serious dedication but it looks like it was worth it.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

I have done this a couple of time back when I was living in France and I had really liked it, the quietness, the light…
But I’ve just checked and to see the sunrise now in Trondheim would mean being up in the air at 3.29 local time, so not sure how to plan it, going to bed really late, or waking up really early?
I think I’ll try the sunset instead, it’s only at 23.05 local time, maybe a bit more doable…

ENVA, Norway

Sunrise is a great thing to watch. Did 3 of them the last 3 days at work at the observation post at Zurich. Will try to take pictures next time.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

You don’t know how lucky you are

I thank God for her every day
When she asks to fly, who am I to say no ?

Now I’m looking for an airport with good sushis nearby. Got to look after her desires !

LFOU, France
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message