Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying to flyfish

Houghton on the river Test is most famous, but there’s also the Anton tributary, example. The Peat Spade in Longstock does fly-fishing bed and breakfast, and the restaurant used to be in the Michelin guide. Thruxton is about an hour’s walk from Amport Trout Fishery lake. Let me know if you need help with logistics etc.

Recently read Endangered Species: The Bart and The Bounder’s countryside year which has some good fishing anecdotes.

I’ve done some fishing in Florida, only with spoons off my parents’ dock, but nothing beats barbecuing your catch (snook, redfish, catfish, various snappers).

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

AeroPlus wrote:

I had a trip planned for May to go to Florida, rent a Cessna 182 there and fly to the Bahamas to do some Fly fishing for bonefish

Enjoy, seems unlike the US fishing license is not needed in Bahamas, I was told they only require one if you fish from your vessel/aircraft (is that C182 is on floats ?)

Last Edited by Ibra at 16 Jun 14:08
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

is that C182 is on floats ?

No US fishing license required in the Bahamas.

I actually do fly float planes and just visited Lake Como in Italy on the first opportunity to go out there this month on the 3rd of June to do some float flying there.

I have been shopping around for a Cessna 182 or something similar to rent in Florida. I used to live in Titusville, Florida for a few years. Tried some places there at the airfield but once they heard that I wanted to fly to the Bahamas and possibly to Cuba, they became nervous. I found this company in the Orlando area that had no problem renting out a Cessna 182 for me to fly to the Bahamas and Cuba. When I rented a Cessna 182 in January in California, it also took me some effort to find a place which was NOT reluctant to rent out an aircraft to a foreigner coming from Europe. In the end, Advantage Aviation at Palo Alto was very open minded and I was able to rent there with no problems.

There is a nice Bahamas pilot guide published by AOPA USA that covers all the requirements of flying to the Bahamas. My wife and I both have a valid B1/B2 visa for the US and are aware of the particulars of flying to and from the US. With the corona pandemic still going on, the wait is for a good moment to go there.

EDLE, Netherlands

Capitaine wrote:

Houghton on the river Test is most famous, but there’s also the Anton tributary, example. The Peat Spade in Longstock does fly-fishing bed and breakfast, and the restaurant used to be in the Michelin guide. Thruxton is about an hour’s walk from Amport Trout Fishery lake. Let me know if you need help with logistics etc.

That looks like good fly fishing opportunities even closer to home than Scotland! I am very much interested. At the moment, travel to the UK is not open for us yet. I will contact you when I find an opportunity to come over.

EDLE, Netherlands

AeroPlus wrote:

No US fishing license required in the Bahamas.
I actually do fly float planes and just visited Lake Como in Italy on the first opportunity to go out there this month on the 3rd of June to do some float flying there.

Nice keen to go Lake Como one day just to get that ticket, I know later no one will rent me his float, at least that what his insurers will say on fishing, someone did lie to me then or he is not up to date on US/Bahamas fishing practices, I will let him know

AeroPlus wrote:

I have been shopping around for a Cessna 182 or something similar to rent in Florida. I used to live in Titusville, Florida for a few years. Tried some places there at the airfield but once they heard that I wanted to fly to the Bahamas and possibly to Cuba, they became nervous. I found this company in the Orlando area that had no problem renting out a Cessna 182 for me to fly to the Bahamas and Cuba. When I rented a Cessna 182 in January in California, it also took me some effort to find a place which was NOT reluctant to rent out an aircraft to a foreigner coming from Europe. In the end, Advantage Aviation at Palo Alto was very open minded and I was able to rent there with no problems.

There is a nice Bahamas pilot guide published by AOPA USA that covers all the requirements of flying to the Bahamas. My wife and I both have a valid B1/B2 visa for the US and are aware of the particulars of flying to and from the US. With the corona pandemic still going on, the wait is for a good moment to go there.

Yes, AOPA guide was really useful, I was lucky to sneak my trip to Florida & Bahamas this January before corona mess !
https://www.euroga.org/forums/trips-airports/11843-trip-report-florida-bahamas-jan16-jan26#post_244695

I rented from Atlas Aviation in Tampa, their nice C177 did the job (also have C182 to grab & SR22 but they insisted on transition training for the Cirrus), also got in touch with Berichi Aviation at FtLauderdale (almost got their Arrow4 or SR20 for the trip)

On visa, I understand no need for B1/B2 visa on GA flights if 1/ you are eligible to US waiver and got passport stamped on US entry first 2/ then you are flying to Bahamas & Turks & US Virgin Islands and back, this has been confirmed to me by US London embassy & by US immigration at Ft-Lauderdale, incidentally me & wife both had US visas but for a completely different reasons (used to live & work in the states and we also visited 3 countries that ban us from waiver program )

I would not say private aircraft & Cuba when renting first time but all the way to Brazil seems now ok for my next rental

Last Edited by Ibra at 16 Jun 17:58
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

That sounds like a great plan @aeroplus I might take you up on that! Scotland is an amazing destination for flying and fishing and whisky and, and, and. I’m looking for a spot close by, because at this moment I lack the time to do trips longer then a day or two. Would love to do an out and return in one day, just for the fun of it. The river doesn’t need to be al that fancy. I rented a cottage in Scotland once, right on the river Braan, it flows in to the Tay, a well known salmon river, but because of a couple of waterfalls salmon do not get up there and so it doesn’t appeal to most fishermen. It does however hold a good stock of brown trout, not very big, but on a light flyrod with a dry fly so much fun. I remember the owner joining me early in the morning for a little fishing before breakfast. He just looked at me and said: ‘compelling, isn’t it?’
That trip to the Bahama’s, that looks like so much fun. Flying fishing, you can also free dive for lobster.

EHTE, Netherlands

Ibra wrote:

I know later no one will rent me his float

You can just rent float planes at the aeroclub in Como. You need to be checked out and if you are a member of the aeroclub, you can just rent the plane and fly yourselves no problem. You have to use common sense when flying in Italy but you can more or less land anywhere on any lake or river. Some places are a bit sensitive due to noise abatement or due to environmental issues, but in general, it is possible to fly around and explore the area, beach the float plane somewhere for lunch at Lago Maggiore or one of the other places and then fly back again. It is almost as fun as bush flying in Africa :-)

EDLE, Netherlands

Bobo wrote:

I lack the time to do trips longer then a day or two

Have a look at this place in Belgium for Fly Fishing in the Ardennes. That is within reach of even a one day fly fishing day. Namur has a short 690 m concrete runway which is completely unobstructed on both ends. Alternatively, there is Charleroi right next door with instrument procedures and a nice long runway.

EDLE, Netherlands

AeroPlus wrote:

You can just rent float planes at the aeroclub in Como.

You can also rent the float plane here in Trondheim, if you are checked out on it and a member of the Trondheim flyklubb… And also if the plane is on float, and it’s on water and it’s working and the weather is good :-) Right now you need your Tail Wheel endorsement to fly it and to fix its transponder.

Ok, then, easier, you can rent seaplanes also from Aquitaine Hydravion in Biscarrosse, but in France, it’s a bit restrictive…

ENVA, Norway

WingsWaterAndWheels wrote:

You can also rent the float plane here in Trondheim

Thanks for the tip! There seems to also be a float plane available to rent in Sweden.

Täby Seaplane Club
The owner is SJÖFLYGARNA AB, the only SEAPLANE TAXI COMPANY in Stockholm, but the plane is located at TÄBY SEAPLANE CLUB. This seaplane is for rent after a check-ride with the instructor and a written test. The hourly rate is 1200 SEK/hour incl. vat.

EDLE, Netherlands
Sign in to add your message