Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Stormscope failure in IMC?

For those using analog stormscope in IMC, how do you detect failures? Does it tune a sound all time like an NDB?

Meanwhile I got a nice flight yesterday dodging around heavy rain patches in DA40, stromscope failure annonciateur by G1000 (I would have skip this vital infovif it was not for watching for busting UK CAS ), so I decided to never lose sight of the ground, when visibility went bellow 3km, I went for a precautionary landing waiting for the right weather gap 30min after (obviously no point climbing above MSA when you go IMC in weather like this if you end up in a cell)

I have admiral Fitzroy Storm Glass, wife offered to me this one for serious (TS) penetration (the shape looks like a …. )

FYI, I still think the main problem for active avoidance are sub140kts cruise and 800fpm climb of our aircrafts

Last Edited by Ibra at 03 Jul 22:44
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

My guess is that the failure message simply says that no RS232 data, or no valid data, was coming from the stormscope. I get the same message when I forget to switch the stormscope on

It is also possible that the stormscope is sending out a specific failure message.

You would need to find out which products they are and get their IMs (installation manuals). The messages tend to be documented there. Actual troubleshooting is beying the average shop; if it is RS232, you need an RS232 monitoring setup; typically a laptop running something like Teraterm. If ARINC429 then you need something similar but a 429-USB adaptor will be more expensive.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

This one is a WX500 that sits deep behind the G1000, it is powered by the same avionics bus as everything but has own CB, it did seem to work fine on the ground during initial tests, will check the install manuals, the PFD/MFD did not show anything as any of the listed errors by WX500, so as you mentioned pure interface data or power issue? or maybe storms-cope errors are not fed through to MFD?

I would expect a stand-alone WX500 unit & display to show a precise error and monitor its own tunning?

Obviously most error messages point to recommended action “turnoff the unit and see your dealer for service”

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
3 Posts
Sign in to add your message