Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How does one determine DA(H) and MDA(H) using the ICAO charts found in the AIP in Europe?

Is there a good document that can be attached to understand how to use the ICAO approach charts in the AIP. In particular how is the MDA(H) or DA determined? See the example posted by Snoopy in post 13 on the topic GNSS Approach Question. How does one reconcile that with a Jeppesen Chart, which I understand? Any guidance would be appreciated, especially if there are reference documents.

KUZA, United States

This kind of thing? Basically you need to compare OCH with System Minima and add any corrections required

Last Edited by MattL at 07 Jul 19:12
Posts are personal views only.
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom

I think NCO.OP.111 is what you are looking for. The AIP plates only show the OCH, which is lower than the system minimum (DA or MDA). I only learned about this a year ago and that’s why I switched back to the expensive Jeppesen charts. I realized that the AIP charts are of no use for me, because sooner or later I would mix the numbers up.
But I’m not 100% sure if this is the full answer to your question. Edit: Matt was faster anyhow. :)

Last Edited by ArcticChiller at 07 Jul 19:21

Is there written description to determine all the blanks? What is System Minimum? Where do you find it? What is Instrument rating Minimum, where do you find it? How would you calculate the LPV DA on the chart attached by SNOOPY? ENBR RNAV (GNSS) Rwy 35?

I posted this before seeing the previous post by ArticChiller. That makes more sense. The Jeppesen charts make it much easier.

Last Edited by NCYankee at 07 Jul 19:44
KUZA, United States

The bit I can’t understand is why they don’t?

always learning
LO__, Austria

I tried using the Aeroplus IFR Minima app, mainly for educational reasons, and secondarily with the hope to maybe wean myself from Jeppesen plates at some point. I don’t always get the same result as on the Jeppesen plate. That is probably more linked to my poor understanding of how to use it than anything else.

While I am relatively clear on the OCA/DH/MDH stuff, I get completely lost in the data necessary to determine the visibility/RVR minima. The app asks whether the lighting is BALS, IALS or FALS. The AIP doesn’t use these terms, and I don’t know how to convert. Some old sources acknowledge this is problematic and hard to determine for sure, and say the FAQ has some explanation. But the FAQ has been offline since I looked for it a year ago, and I have never seen it.

The true solution is for the AIP plates to show the (M)DH and visibility/RVR minima plainly. French ones do. I would be happy if we had some EU/Eurocontrol/EASA standardisation on a format similar to the French ones.

ELLX

What’s the point of step 2?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

What’s the point of step 2?

It’s a UK thing….

pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark

NCO.OP.111 is indeed the document you need. In general, system minimum tends to prevail for precision approaches (for which the PANS-OPS minimum margin using pressure altimetry is 130 ft above obstacles penetrating the obstacle assessment surfaces, and the system minimum is 200 ft), and OCH for non-precision approaches (for which the margin is usually 246 ft above any obstacles in the final approach segment).

36 Posts
Sign in to add your message