Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

No SID after a low approach @ EDDG and EDLV

I love flying up to Weeze (EDLV) of Münster (EDDG) and practice an approach or two followed by a SID, but this evening the approach controller (Langen) told me that a new policy in in force that does not allow flying a SID after a low approach, one needs to do a touch and go. Langen told me the same last weekend when practicing at Münster. I guess it’s a money thing? I only get billed the terminal charges by eurocontrol, but I do not pay any landingfees doing the low approach, a touch and go would cost some money. Could that be it, or am I missing something?

EHTE, Netherlands

What did he expect you to do instead? Fly the published missed approach procedure?

The standard on a low approach is flying the published missed approach procedure unless given other instructions. German controllers have had the bad habit/SOP of requiring someone to fly a SID rather than the published missed approach, which is often a pain to set up in the FMS and requires quite a few steps to get right during the critical phase of an approach. Various people have complained and have pushed DFS to change to the generally accepted standard of flying the published missed approach procedure instead.

It sounds like they are following this now – why do you want to fly a SID after an approach?

EGTF, EGLK, United Kingdom

Thanks! Why the SID? Just for practice. Indeed, you need to fly the missed approach procedure now. It’s fine, but I was just wondering why they changed this.

EHTE, Netherlands

Bobo wrote:

Thanks! Why the SID? Just for practice. Indeed, you need to fly the missed approach procedure now. It’s fine, but I was just wondering why they changed this.

I suspect the explanation I gave above is likely the answer but I suggest you call the Wachleiter (ATC Supervisor) if you want to confirm/discuss that.

EGTF, EGLK, United Kingdom

Bobo wrote:

but I was just wondering why they changed this.

Because pilots (i.e. we!) were heavily and finally successfully lobbying for stopping the practice of clearing for a SID after approach

Germany

No SID after low approach. We’re all quite thankful they give us the missed approach now.

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

Was used to it from training, so it didn’t bother me at all.

EHTE, Netherlands

finally successfully lobbying for stopping the practice of clearing for a SID after approach

Who and when was lobbying? I’ve never heard of anybody being even expected to fly a SID after going around. You always fly the official published missed approach, or another missed approach which ATC read out to you while you are going down the IAP.

For training, you could always request it, but you would be working like a one armed bandit to load the SID while keeping the thing going straight when climbing at full power. If I was doing this I would load the SID as a new flight plan, while flying the approach, but that can be done only with an ILS or similar; it can’t be done with a GPS approach.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Who and when was lobbying?

AOPA, etc. basically the entire community.

It was a special German thing that for practice approaches and check flights (so basically any “planned go around”) ATC cleared you on a SID instead of the MAP.
ATC claimed to do it for noise abatement (and reduction of workload on their side) and argued they have the right to do so as there is no such thing as a “planned missed approach” in the respective regulations so it is a favor they do to you to allow such flights at all.
As most often with German authorities: They were very remote from actual life but if you take the rules by the letters not wrong. You actually can’t file a missed approach in an IFR flight plan as the only planned way to get away from an airport under IFR is the SID.

But as you write: It is something quite difficult to do with most avionics (basically the instructor or checker has to do the reprogramming that is quite of not fulfilling the purpose) and it is training something that would never happen in real life (as you fly the MAP in real life in cased of a missed).

Peter wrote:

If I was doing this I would load the SID as a new flight plan, while flying the approach, but that can be done only with an ILS or similar; it can’t be done with a GPS approach.

As German IR pilots we developed a little bit of proficiency with that. Best way to do it with most navigators is to add the destination airport at the very beginning of your flight plan while in cruise and load the SID there. Then you have to “only” jump at the beginning of the plan to fly the SID and can clean up the plan during hold…

Last Edited by Malibuflyer at 17 Jul 09:45
Germany

Nice to know the story behind this, indeed, I had my climbout instructions programmed on a new flightplan on the GNS530

EHTE, Netherlands
22 Posts
Sign in to add your message