Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flight plan addressing

Greetings all,

I am flying to Caen Friday and my route will take me from the Clacton area down to over Manson and then accross to Le Touquet and then direct to Caen.

The skyDemon flight plan that was generated (but not filed) added the following UK flight plan addresses:

EGSQZTZX - Clacton Airfield EGZYVFRT - London VFR

I don't see Manston Radar on the addressing list? Will they receive my flight plan details via the EGZYVFRT address? I will also try Clacton to open as I didn't relize they would be addred!

For what it matters, where does one find a list of flight plan addresses decoded? For UK, France, and all European countries for that matter?

Regards, -Jason

Great Oakley, U.K. & KTKI, USA

Jason: a direct VFR flight from EGSQ via EGZY to LFRK should give you the following VFR addressing: FF EGSQZTZX EGZYVFRT LFFFZFZX LFRGZTZX LFRRZFZX LFRKZTZX LFRGZPZX LFRSZPZX

EDLE, Netherlands

I should clarify, yes LFFFZFZX LFRGZTZX LFRRZFZX LFRKZTZX LFRGZPZX LFRSZPZX were also all added by SkyDemon.

I was just pointing out that only Clacton and London VFR addresses were listed for the UK, and not Manston?

Do I need to add Manston? or will they get my flight plan through the EGZYVFRT - London VFR address?

Or does it matter? I just wanted the option of asking Manson Radar to open my FP. Cheers, -Jason

I dont think it matters, though maybe just use London Info or Farnborough East to activate the plan for you instead. I'm sure when I used to use the NATS AFPEX tool, it would generate less of the automatic stations automatically, and notify those at departure, destination and somewhere on the route boundary. At the end of the day addressing is just addressing, its the routings that you list which will be more important.

Ok thanks. I will coast out almost immediately from Great Oakley so I was going to call up Manson first. London Info can be a zoo, but maybe not so much on a Friday morning!

In very general terms, VFR flight plans are addressed to the departure and destination airports, and some relevant FIRs.

They are never addressed to airports enroute that you are not going to land in, and if they were, the ATC there would take one look at it, see you are not landing there, and bin it. Same for IFR flight plans, filed at low level e.g. 3000ft.

Last time I looked at this there was some strange stuff e.g. flight plans to/from Blackbushe were supposed to be also addressed to Farnborough. Yeah, I can really see Johnny Foreigner following that 100% ICAO [non]compliant procedure

The huge interminable ongoing debate about VFR flight plan addressing concerns which FIRs to send them to. There is a load of rules on this. Many years ago when this job was done by "real men" whose salaries were paid by real taxpayers, there existed a reportedly huge book which contained all these rules.

Skydemon uses the EuroFPL service to file its flight plans and that discharges its ICAO obligations by addressing them to the departure aerodrome only (which in the UK would type them into AFPEX, unless it is a bigger airport which might use some other AFTN tool; Copperchase?).

It would be interesting if SD or EuroFPL changed things recently and addressed VFR flight plans fully and directly.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

In very general terms, VFR flight plans are addressed to the departure and destination airports, and some relevant FIRs.

Only if the VFR flight originates from the UK.

If the VFR flight orginates in European countries abroad, it should be, in general terms, addressed only to the ARO.

If the VFR flight orginates in European countries abroad, it should be, in general terms, addressed only to the ARO.

Which ARO?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Your flight planning program should tell you.

If you're interested in the joys of manual filing then it's available from the AIP of the country concerned. :)

It is all way more complicated and I don't think I can discuss too much on the forum. In e.g. the Netherlands, the VFR flightplans are addressed to ARO Schiphol. They will take care of the complete addressing (by hand and manual checking). Even if you address it to a local airfield like EHLE it will automatically be redirected to ARO Schiphol.

EuroFPL addresses not only to the departure aerodrome but also does address most of the enroute and destination addresses as specified in each countries AIP VFR addressing section.

Also we do have a European addressing engine which handles the VFR addressing part.

EDLE, Netherlands
30 Posts
Sign in to add your message