Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK Danger areas - embarrassed to have to ask this question

Most of the (many) R areas in north-eastern France are not active on weekends. On weekdays they have clearly defined activity time-slots.
It is however good to check beforehand the NOTAMs and the little booklet issued by the DGAC that includes all you need to know on french R, P, and D.
If you don’t know the name of the area just ask the agent you are in contact with to tell you the actual code, they are usually happy to help. Just make sure you are always talking to someone (SIVs) in France also outside controlled airspace.
Ok well all of this was off-topic but I read a lot about it on the forum and it is really much simpler than it looks on the map (I am based in LFST).

Last Edited by Seba at 26 Jul 15:12
LFST, France

skydriller wrote:

Steve6443 wrote:

What I find annoying is that the French tend to use the name of the area which is active, for example ‘Bitche’, ‘Valdahon’ instead of saying “LFR228A” or “LFR231A”

Really? That isnt what Ive heard down this way, its R61 or R31A, and thats how I refer to them when asking the FIS if they are active…
I have heard “Cazeaux is active, remain at 1000ft” but that would be if you called asking about flying that way anywa.

Yes, I’ve flown to Colmar, Hagenau a number of times and when calling Strasbourg to ask about R150 and R228B, it was typically ‘Bitche active, Phalbourg not active’. When I flew to Cannes, even Bale Info offered, without asking, that the restricted areas north of Pontarlier are active – the only ones I could see were R231 and R153 so I asked. The response:

“Yes, Valdahon……”

Glad that SkyDemon allows you to see the names……

Last Edited by Steve6443 at 25 Jul 19:08
EDL*, Germany

Steve6443 wrote:

What I find annoying is that the French tend to use the name of the area which is active, for example ‘Bitche’, ‘Valdahon’ instead of saying “LFR228A” or “LFR231A”

Really? That isnt what Ive heard down this way, its R61 or R31A, and thats how I refer to them when asking the FIS if they are active…
I have heard “Cazeaux is active, remain at 1000ft” but that would be if you called asking about flying that way anywa.

Peter wrote:

Sure the UK differs from other countries on this, but there are countless variations eg France and its extensive military system.

The original Q is totally valid.

What I find annoying is that the French tend to use the name of the area which is active, for example ‘Bitche’, ‘Valdahon’ instead of saying “LFR228A” or “LFR231A” – so you’re suddenly looking in, trying to find which one they’re referring to rather than actually keeping an eye of what’s going on around you…..

EDL*, Germany

I think in that regard, we all do with we have :

• online tools before flight (official or commercial) : but you can never be sure
  • asking FIS when possible

I think the czech have a great official flight planning tool

US isn’t so much different, except they have Flight Service via phone/radio and better service from ATC.

LFOU, France

Sure the UK differs from other countries on this, but there are countless variations eg France and its extensive military system.

The original Q is totally valid.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yep it would appear it is open.

Buckerfan wrote:

If I get them wrong will they send up the dragon to drive me off?

Puff the Magic Dragon?

It is a beautiful coast line and one which I have flown a few times. Well worth the trip and all pretty easy. Welshpool is also an amazing gem – and fun to find using only visual references if you wish to give yourself a small challenge. I dont know whether it is open again, but I assume there is a good chance it is.

It seems not. Perhaps they think we will drink all the remaining beer.

BTW, the coastline of Wales N and S of LLanbedr is apparently spectacular. I found this out from a BBC documentary with Bill Nighy – The Worlds Most Scenic Railways. One episode is about the railway which trundles along the coast from Pwllheli (thats not a typo) to Tywyn, Machynlleth and beyond. The idea of trying to give VFR position reports is alarming me. If I get them wrong will they send up the dragon to drive me off?

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

Buckerfan wrote:

All of Wales seems to want the English to stay away for now!

But surely Australians are welcome?

EGTK Oxford
21 Posts
Sign in to add your message