Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

KLN94 database change: showing the missed approach - why?

I have started seeing this only recently.

It also displays a bizzare distance to the airport: 90nm instead of 72nm. The rationale for that is a mystery to me.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Presumably the approach has been activated and EKLEB is not part of a larger flight plan?

When the approach is loaded but not activated it will not give an easily interpreted distance, as the context is the FPL mode.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

AIUI, there is no “approach activation” on the KLN boxes. You just select the PROC and insert it into the flight plan. Then usually do a DCT to the desired IAF (EKLEB in this case). And just fly it in NAV mode

Administrator

Do the Garmin/Avidyne boxes auto load the missed approach waypoints?

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Do the Garmin/Avidyne boxes auto load the missed approach waypoints?

Garmin loads the whole approach including the missed. Anything else would be unsafe. You can’t expect the pilot to start fiddling with the navigator as (s)he goes missed!

Btw: I don’t think there is an “approach activation” as such on any GPS box regardless of brand. What Garmin boxes call “approach activation” is exactly the same as a DCT to the IAF. The special stuff that has do be done on an approach (such as changing the CDI scaling) is triggered by getting close to the FAF.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

and insert it into the flight plan.

That explains it. My SOP on Garmin is not to insert the approach into a FPL. When cleared to the IAF you have an activate approach procedure menu selection. This loads the entire approach including missed, as is the case with all IFR GPS. On passing the missed approach point you will get a suspend message, on all IFR boxes, which when activated will load the missed approach.

If you are then proceeding en route there is a menu to remove the approach.

Inserting the approach into a FPL throws out the distances and results in the manual approach checks that waypoints loaded correctly to be incomplete.

Failing to press SUSP when going missed is a technical fail on an FAA ride, less so in EASA land.

Last Edited by RobertL18C at 06 Aug 07:31

Isn’t it much easier to just select approach & activate it from scratch? say than fiddling with previously loaded approach that one inserts it the back of an FPL? Yes passing MAPt press SUSP land & activate the go-missed sequence

One thing I don’t understand is when loading an ILS approach that I flew procedural on “GPS guidance only”, passing the FAF some boxes do automatic switch from GPS to VLOC while others boxes I need to manually press of VLOC, this seems GPS boxe specific?

I never tried flying missed approach on “GPS guidance only” for traditional ILS (usually you fly HDG & ADF) but how that will work when you press SUSP at DH? does it revert to GPS? stays in VLOC? will it load & activate missed approach waypoints in GPS? can you still fly missed approach HDG on GPS TRK?

Last Edited by Ibra at 06 Aug 12:58
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I have been studying the KLN94 manual and it does load to FPL0 which is different to the Garmin or Honeywell logic, where the approach is loaded on a sub page and then activated when you receive clearance to the initial fix.

The IAF is loaded after the destination airport in FPL0, and to activate the approach you use direct to IAF. The missed approach point is a sequencing fence, and you need a direct to the first waypoint on the missed approach to suspend the approach and activate the missed approach sequence.

To remove or change an approach from FPL0 you need use the cursor on the approach header, and either select a new approach or clear it.

Your approach checks only seem to allow confirmation of the approach waypoint sequencing, not tracks and fly by (or fly over in the case of the MAPt) leg distances. The unit carries out a RAIM check in the run in to FAF, or this can be carried out as part of the pre take off or approach checks.

RobertL18C wrote:

I have been studying the KLN94 manual and it does load to FPL0 which is different to the Garmin or Honeywell logic, where the approach is loaded on a sub page and then activated when you receive clearance to the initial fix.

From your description of the KLN94, the “Garmin logic” is exactly the same. (I’m speaking from experience with GNS430, GTN650 and G1000.) The approach is loaded at the end of the current flight plan and not in a “sub page”.

(On a Garmin unit, you don’t have to do a DCT to the first waypoint to “activate” the approach — although you can. You can just as well edit the flightplan so that the approach appears in the proper sequence. I suspect that the KLN94 works the same.)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I disagree Garmin logic the approach is loaded below and completely independent of the current flight plan, and the flight plan will not sequence to the approach unless approach activate is selected in the procedures menu, then it is a direct to the IAF.

You can load an approach into a flight plan, by inserting and loading the approach after a flight plan waypoint, but I would suggest it is not ideal. If on arrival the approach is for the wrong runway, there is more of a workaround to load the new correct approach, and check it.

As always YMMV

14 Posts
Sign in to add your message