Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

IFR into EDAZ (Schönhagen) - PPR from Bremen flow control required

10 Posts

Notam for EDAZ:

IFR PPR COORDINATION VIA BREMEN ACC +49(0)4215372141. 2007301036-PERM

Called the number and they can only confirm on the day of the flight (which is 12 days from now). Does anyone have any experience of whether there is a good chance of being accepted? This is just an overnight trip with the risk that on the day of the return leg they say “no” and the weather prevents a VFR departure.

FI/IRI (London/South East)
EGKB (Biggin Hill), United Kingdom

I’m not surprised… Given the location of EDAZ relative to EDDB, its app/dep procedures follow one narrow corridor to the south. The rate of IFR movements must be very limited.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Another ATC (inadvertent) attempt to reduce the value of GA IR. It would be interesting to know if the PPR approval would be impacted by the type of aircraft.

Why isn’t this managed with slots like everywhere else? One could argue that PPR is better than using slots, since in principle a PPR approval is a bit like a guaranteed slot if it does indeed provide a guarantee of getting out at the PPR time.

LSZK, Switzerland

That is a new thing since a few weeks. So far it always worked. I even called 5min before EOBT as we forgot and they said ok but please call a bit earlier next time. Once I heard that they want to limit this to 4 IFR movements per hours but currently we have less IFR than traffic than that at EDAZ. Also just file a Y/Z plan and in case of bad weather they wil let you do the appraoch anyway. Just expect to fly the full procedure from MOSEX which might not be the shortest way if coming from the North…

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Also for the departure if they would not allow the IFR departure I would file a Z plan and do a pick up. We did so for years and unless the weather is a real mess it also works fine.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Thanks for the information Sebastian. Flying the procedure from MOSEX works well with the FPL that has us flying on L986 to KOSIX.

I will update after the flights and add info to the Airports Database.

Also if the weather is good tell ATC you want to cancel. Then usually they send you direct to the field and you cancel a few minutes out. Then you can join the pattern from the south. If there is other VFR traffic in the pattern that creates less mess than especiall a RNP 25 circling 07. Watch out for the natural reserve to the north west of the field. That must be overflown 2000ft ground.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

I usually give them a call about two hours before. Recently I called them already a day before and they said they can only accept requests 2-4 hours before the planned departure/arrival. Never had a problem (but the whole procedure is weird) especially as the airspace is empty due to COVID. As already said, telling ATC that you’ll cancel IFR right before arrival is the best way to fly into EDAZ in VMC conditions, as you’ll always get a “direct destination” from ATC then. Apparently from what I head from the staff, EDAZ is in talks with DFS to find a better solution and not let it become a slot management through the backdoor.

Germany

In the end there was no problem with IFR arrival and departure on 25 and 26 August.

Arrival was in VMC with a direct MOSEX (the IAF) from 100+NM out.

EDAZ is a great GA airport for Berlin. Highly recommend.

The PPR rule was an agreement with the DFS when getting the ir approach. First the DFS has voted for a contingent of ir approaches per day, but that was against the intentions of EDAZ. So finally they agreed about the PPR rule. I asked about that at EDAZ yesterday.

EDDS , Germany
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message