Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Finding Time for Flying

Of course if you work at an airport, or work in your company’s hangar while the said company takes care of itself, that’s not fair to the case we have

This GP-4 build is just for the Guinness book : 200 knots with 200 hp in 2 years .

• One example is here :

They build an award-winning RV10 with all the bells and whistles and zero quick build in 3,5 year, with a baby born about half way. In the video they say that, while they both worked full time, the husband only took care of his work, the build and sat at the dinner’s table. He was already quite a handy man.
  • In the build described on myrv10.com, he says he built from 9 to 12 pm when his daughters were asleep.
  • A US friend of ours is a doctor in hospital with 5 kids and was a pilot. His wife stopped working a long time ago. He could only fly at night, after his long days at work. He got fed up and dropped.

So definitely their wives agreed for big sacrifices for the long term goal : having a family plane.

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 13 Sep 16:53
LFOU, France

Peter wrote:

But the flip side of that debate is that the wife doesn’t have time for anything if the husband buggers off to fly and leaves her to look after the kids (which is a full time job, for 10-15 years)

My wife stayed home and brought up our boys. We had always hated the thought of ‘’special little me’’, who wants it all, and drops the babies off at the kindergarden
at 6.00 in the morning, and picks them back up at 6 at night, kids screaming because Mr Routine is not at home, and special little me wondering why sex and life is non existent. Just look at them wandering the streets today. The want it all women, and men.

That is why I never flew off on my own at weekends, never went out 4 nights a week to do my hobby. I always tried to involve them, take them with me, until of course they grew up and worked at their own deals. Then my wife and I could spend a little more time on our own hobbies and pursuits.

Married life is a total trade off of give and take, if you wish it to succeed that is. I have loads of divorced pals. Some went to the pub every night, some golf, some sailing, some who just worked so hard to get the stuff that sadly the partnership drifted. You either have to have a very understanding wife that lets you fly as much as you want, does not moan about you not being around, but the danger is she will probably end up shagging the yoga teacher as you play with your plane.

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

But then again, my time is anyways determined by others, almost 100% of it.

this I can relate to. Yes, in this phase of life, where you have a 100% job plus family, there IS no free time. Simply doesn´t exist. Even if the day had 48 hours, there would not be.

I suppose this is why people who learn to fly young dissappear for 20 years or so and then come back maybe once the kids (and possibly the wife too) have flown and they sit at 50 wondering what to do with the rest of their lifes. Those who have any money left then might come back to flying.

The funny bit is, with the recent discussion about boating I have seen some of these people recently when taking my family to the Rhine river for swimming. Well, a boat has space for the whole family, in some cases even for friends of the kids. So going on a motorboat on a quiet piece of water may well be a totally different story than flying, which has travel as itś primary purpose. With a boat, particularly in our kind of waters, you don´t travel, you simply drive it a few km out find a nice spot, throw anchor and open the beer cooler and bbq. So it is a family hobby.

That aside, I do not look at my family time as a sort of prison sentence, even though it may look like it sometimes. My daughter is adorable and I love every minute with her while she is still small and thinks daddy is a great cuddly bear and not the guy who tells her she can´t go out without doing her homework. Those who think family is prison time, should have thought earlier or get a divorce. I m far from that. Flying was nice while it lasted but if Iever have to take that choice, that plane will go on planecheck for sure.

anyway, at the moment the question does not arise. There is no travelling for the next several years by the looks of it. So all we can do is stay in training and wait for times when we are released from the slavery imposed by Covid. This is much worse.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 13 Sep 17:56
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

There is no travelling for the next several years by the looks of it. So all we can do is stay in training and wait for times when we are released from the slavery imposed by Covid. This is much worse.

And that is the biggest challenge facing us all….my real concern is that we may never be free from the controls that are now being imposed. Time will tell.

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

Things will be back to before covid status much sooner than a few years. Humanity is presented with challenged and learns to deal with them.
In fact, maybe covid brings a positive swing to GA overall.

always learning
LO__, Austria

The good news for aviation in the US is that aeronautical freedom is 99% an FAA power, not subject to state and local governments or their unprecedented 2020 power grabs, and has never been restricted or relinquished. Quite the opposite – the FAA has made it clear that its job is to keep the system working.

Otherwise (editorial comment follows) in the minds of some, “Humanity Learning to Deal With Challenges” is Orwellian New Speak for imposing new controls on human and business behaviors that permanently reduce individual opportunity and individual control, benefiting those have grabbed power when the opportunity arose in 2020. In the US that means state and local governments, the same ones that have increased their tax revenue so dramatically over recent decades, which is what put them in the position to be able to do what they’ve done. The only way to prevent a ‘new normal’ is widespread refusal to comply, and ramping up fear of reaction in those officials whose newly enhanced position of power is still tenuous. The Federal Government may be an ally in this, as with the FAA, depending on much the new situation threatens their pre-existing power. The enemy of my enemy is my friend

I agree that travel restrictions In particular will see this pressure worldwide soon, over the coming months not
years. It will be important for this to happen while there is still opportunity for those concerned to back down gracefully.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 14 Sep 04:11

I meant simpler things like
washing hands (how many people do you see in public restrooms simply walking out?)

not sneezing into one’s hand then shaking the next

not working when sick

a vaccine

I agree that any border control measures intra eu are absolutely to be contested. Any abuse of this virus for more surveillance as well.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 14 Sep 06:01
always learning
LO__, Austria

I almost forgot. Getting a divorce does wonders for the amount of spare time you get. Kids only 50% at most, and no wife nagging and complaining The flip side is of course a serious dent in available money (have to pay for your house twice etc), but that is manageable. You will chose your new wife much wiser, and you live happily ever after

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

That is accurate on every point.

But it is a complex solution

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Sorry but talking about divorce as a way to make time for flying makes me

LFOU, France
Sign in to add your message