Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Sometimes you have to see it to believe it!

Snoopy wrote:

What’s interesting to see in the video is the moment he panics and immediately pulls the yoke fully aft. That would have been a nasty stall anyway.

Yes, one has to be glad it did not fly…

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Occasionally after a landing I wonder why the aircraft doesn’t turn towards the taxiway when I turn the yoke (when exhausted from flying). I believe that’s not from wanting to drive the airplane but rather from being used to use the ailerons for turning when airborne.

EDQH, Germany

Some people shouldn’t fly… that’s it… glad he’s ok but golf looks like more appropriate activity for him.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

It’s difficult to tell, but does he step on the right rudder and hold it after initially veering to the left? Not comfortable to watch everything going wrong.

Reminds me a bit of this one

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

Reminds me a bit of this one

How incredible incompetente one have to be for such performance…

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

Some people shouldn’t fly… that’s it… glad he’s ok but golf looks like more appropriate activity for him.

I understand your sentiment, but would be careful to argue someone is unfit for flying just because they made a single, albeit dramatic, mistake early in their career.

What do the others think, especially FIs? How do you judge someone to be unfit for becoming a pilot? Maybe I should make a separate thread…

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

MedEwok wrote:

I understand your sentiment, but would be careful to argue someone is unfit for flying just because they made a single, albeit dramatic, mistake early in their career.

The airspeed over the threshold seems to be about 70 kt, which is about 10 kt too much for a lightly loaded C172 with full flaps.

The important mistake here is not going around when the aircraft floats without touching down. I wouldn’t say that such a mistake alone means he is unfit to fly.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

In defense of the pilot, his error with too much speed is forgivable at that airport (if managed correctly afterword) as there are buildings right up to the airport fence all around the approach end, an nowhere to go if you undershoot badly. Like other airports, the city grew up tight around that one. He had about 2000 feet ahead of where he left the runway, so lots of room to get it stopped, if the excess speed is bled off gently.

As for flying fitness, that’s an important and broader topic. I have flown with some pilots who just did not have the touch – not at all had the touch. Either a lot of additional training or more land based endeavors. That’s up to an instructor to measure, and obviously incompletely measured in this case. This sad event is a wake up call to instructors!

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

I think once the brain goes into full panic mode, all bets are off. Unfortunately one cannot measure the panic threshold of someone without getting him into the right situation. The only thing an instructor can do is to try to avoid that situation by moving the panic threshold further away from normal and abnormal situations by the right training. And then comes the first solo there a student is going to encounter a totally new situation which he has never trained before.

EDQH, Germany
Sign in to add your message