Is TKS useful for European flying?

Ibra wrote:

I think you forgot day(summer) & night(winter) there no

I guess I did

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

The weather and terrain is suited for:

VFR below weather in a suitable machine.
IFR above weather in a turbine, or at least a piston twin.
Anything at CAVOK
You should come and see for yourself

I think you forgot day(summer) & night(winter) there no ?
Peter need to add “cold night IMC time in SEP over water & mountains” column to his logbook after that trip

Last Edited by Ibra at 21 Sep 20:57
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I have customers in Norway and have planned trips up there, but the chances of a wx slot for flying say EGKA-ENVA (which I can do nonstop, just) and returning a few days later, are slim. Perhaps a few a year at most

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

The N-reg ban would have killed the majority of those interested anyway

Lots of people fly IFR, but they fly in RVs and Lancairs, in CAVOK in the summer seriously. Very few PPL pilots have IFR rating though. Most of them have CPL and fly commercially too, or at least did at some point in time. I would think there are 10 times as many with PPLH compared with PPLA with IFR (my educated guess). Besides, there is no N-reg ban. It’s everything-ban But lately it has become not so much EASA-band, only “EASA-annoyance – better off registering it to LN”.

The weather and terrain is suited for:

• VFR below weather in a suitable machine.
  • IFR above weather in a turbine, or at least a piston twin.
  • Anything at CAVOK

You should come and see for yourself

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Sure, but I think Norway doesn’t have that pilot community to start with.

Pilots there have a long way to go to get anywhere useful or interesting (like pilots in Ireland) and admiring the Norwegian scenery doesn’t need IFR.

The N-reg ban would have killed the majority of those interested anyway. Historically it was mainly sado-masochists who went for a PPL/IR on the national reg, while buying a plane with serious ice protection

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

And yes if you want 99.9% despatch rate then you need all the kit.

I am sure Widerøe has nowhere near 99.9% dispatch rate from Oct to Mars. In the summer months maybe they get closer.

On the other hand. You can do low level IFR in helicopters. There are separate IFR “airways” for them, or helicopter routes as we call them, all over the country. They are mostly in G airspace.

The point is, if you need to get around, then a top of the line SEP tourer isn’t up to it, not even close, except when the weather is OK, But then you can do it in anything. You simply are much better off with a helicopter. It takes longer, but at least you get where you want most of the time.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Got it, thanks !

Ibra wrote:

Can you really fly low IFR on the parts with low MSA? freestyle uncontrolled outside ATS routes
Most ATS routes are +FL100, only few are +FL70 and over water are it’s +1000ft amsl

Sure. The same thing in Sweden (except lower terrain). All ATS routes are at least FL100+, but it’s no problem with low IFR. I once did a three hour mostly uncontrolled IFR flight at 2500 ft to avoid very strong headwinds above.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

That’s a slight exaggeration. Sure, there are parts of Norway like that, but certainly not all. It’s not like the Alps.

Can you really fly low IFR on the parts with low MSA? freestyle uncontrolled outside ATS routes
Most ATS routes are +FL100, only few are +FL70 and over water are it’s +1000ft amsl

Last Edited by Ibra at 21 Sep 13:40

Ibra wrote:

+9000ft MSA

That’s a slight exaggeration. Sure, there are parts of Norway like that, but certainly not all. It’s not like the Alps.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
38 Posts
Sign in to add your message