Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Departure from a motorway - would this be allowed in Europe?

AFAIK they would require the aircraft to be dismantled and carted out on a pickup truck. But maybe not in every country…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It’s really weird that they stuck to the lane for the takeoff! So the entire takeoff was on a curve.

I wonder why they didn’t take a diagonal through the apex of the bend to allow a straight run.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

On road (e.g. M25), no way you can pull that stunt in the UK
On a field with nothing unscratched: land owner permission only to takeoff, it does happen regularly for gliders/tugs and vintage in weather…

Obviously, if fatal/serious injury to pob or public goes to Police, aircraft accident to AAIB, maybe airworthiness issue that goes to your maintenance, in those cases you can’t just go ahead and takeoff

dublinpilot wrote:

So the entire takeoff was on a curve.

Stoke microlight airfield has 06/24 runways but it’s officially 08/23 banana
Also, if I have to pick, the nearby farm and road both offer better surface & size

Last Edited by Ibra at 16 Sep 12:40
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Well it proves that runways don’t need to be straight

Logically, if you can keep a plane going straight on a straight runway, it must be equally possible to keep it curved on a curved runway – within limits of the nosewheel / rudder authority etc.

Administrator

Provided the landing was due to a genuine emergency and the aircraft could be fixed on the spot, I don’t see why not “in Europe”.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Risk assessment. Somebody has to sign off on it, and this is not a normal scenario, with a precedent / standard procedure.

Some additional info which many will find amusing: Ran out of fuel after taking off from an airport 15 minutes away, landed on the interstate, refueled and took off later. 15 mins! I guess this proves homeopathy is a valid human enterprise.

Administrator

Airborne_Again wrote:

Provided the landing was due to a genuine emergency and the aircraft could be fixed on the spot, I don’t see why not “in Europe”.

It happened close to Kjeller a few years back. It was an emergency landing due to some engine snag. A couple of hours later it took off again. The only “problem” about this is stopping the traffic, which requires the police.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Peter wrote:

Risk assessment. Somebody has to sign off on it, and this is not a normal scenario, with a precedent / standard procedure.

There have been a couple of instances of jobsworths not even allowing aeroplanes to take off from perfectly good runways – Plymouth…?!?!

In Germany you are generally allowed to depart from the same field/area where you made an emergency landing. Notably, the land owner is strictly forbidden from stopping you. This is the theory, however, I’m sure in practice the local police department would have a say.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Also in Estonia, no problem if you can close the traffic..

EETU, Estonia
23 Posts
Sign in to add your message