Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Emergency landing on an aircraft carrier

Graham wrote:

Most reasonably modern vessels are semi-displacement and the hull speed formula has little practical relevance.

I guess you are thinking mid size to large yachts and similar. The hull speed formula is always relevant though, it’s the basis for speed, power, efficiency. As an example, a 50 foot properly designed displacement vessel will go at 9 knots using only 40-50 HP. The same size semi displacement vessel will go at 20 knots, but will typically need 4-500 HP to do this. A fully planning vessel will easily go at 50-60 knots, but will need 1-2000 HP. The power needed to double the speed from 9 knots is a factor 10, but only a factor 3-4 to double it from 20 to 40.

AFAIK semi displacement hulls are “popular” because you can go relatively fast also in rough sea with relative comfort. To get more speed it becomes all hull and engine also.

I can’t imagine a 1000 feet carrier having a semi-displacement hull. 40 knots is already pretty fast what boats are concerned. It has to cope with ordinary ocean waves also.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Sadly, I think this is really an issue of liability.
The aircraft could handily achieve the landing, but if something went wrong, the US Navy would be on the hook for it.

If the aircraft ditches nearby, it is then a rescue mission, which is different legally.

Also, I don’t think am aluminum aircraft would hurt the steel aircraft carrier. The engine might make a dent if flown directly into the hull, but more than likely it would just be a splat and a paint scrape on the flight deck.

I think this guy solidly answers the carrier max speed question

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-true-top-speed-of-a-USN-nuclear-aircraft-carrier?share=1

Peter wrote:

Can anyone guess at what their rules of engagement might be?

Who knows, but I would think it is different for a carrier on highest alert in the Persian Gulf and one outside the shores here. In peacetime in international waters, the rules are you should save people in distress, but there is also rules for rescuing goods (at sea this is typically other boats and their cargo). Not that they must, or will, but they are in their full right to take your plane and everything on board the plane. A US carrier probably wouldn’t care about your plane is my guess (lots and lots of paperwork and possibly a round in court), but a Russian carrier?

It would be interesting to see what actually would happen today. Legally you can be asked to pay for everything of their costs in this rescue operation: fuel used, wages, any damage to their equipment. The exception is the rescue of you as a person. They probably will not in any circumstance give you explicit permission to land, even if you ask. I would think they will use wordings such as “the deck is free of other aircraft”, or simply “we have a rescue helicopter standing by”, leaving it your choice to land on the deck.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

The third related question on that link is asking exactly what this thread title asks..
…unfortunately it wants me to “log in via facebook” if i click the link – not going to happen!!

Quora is weird… I was able to read most of it. It says about 35-36kt, basically.

Never log into any site using facebook etc. You give that site permission to grab all your fb/etc data.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The french Charles de Gaulle is done for doing 27kn, and usually does it for plane to be launched. Actually for the bigger ones, it has to go this fast.

LFMD, France

I think 27 kts is the minimum speed for the Hawkeye to take off and land with no wind. So it was a requirement for CDG to make it.

As French, we take pride of just about making it with minimum budget
Our US friends, so in love with power, can make a much higher speed

In a Tom Clancy novel, a US carrier looses 2 screws out of 4 and can still make 20 kts or so…

LFOU, France

When one of the UK carriers was undergoing tests, and was moored at Invergordon, Scotland, a recreational drone landed on it, “accidentally”. I believe the guy got it back.

I doubt landing a light aircraft on a moving carrier would be more difficult for anyone who only looks out on final approach, as you’d focus on the carrier, not the sea. It’d be like a headwind.

Last Edited by Maoraigh at 13 Oct 19:38
Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

I agree about landing on a still carrier.
But one in seas would be really difficult, as the deck pitches up to 60’ with large swells.
30’ is more typical, but that’s still quite a moving target to stall onto.

30 Posts
Sign in to add your message