Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Routing Antwerp (EBAW) to Shoreham (EGKA)

Our trip to Jersey this summer was cancelled due to Covid, and we hope to try again next year. One leg is from Antwerp to Shoreham. As this is my first flight within UK airspace, I have read with some disbelief the thread regarding IFR in G airspace and pilots getting busted for reentering CAS whithout a new clearance.

Autorouter suggests this:
EBAW N0140F080 NIK4C NIK DCT SKARD DCT KONAN DCT LZD/N0131F040 DCT SFD DCT EGKA

If I have understood the UK system correct, this should be ok as I enter CAS when crossing the FIR border and do not leave CAS before my descent to Shoreham (and no CAS reentry). Correct?

Do I stand the risk of beeing forced below CAS at the FIR border, or is the problem of leaving CAS only a problem if I ask for a descend myself? If ATC can direct an aircraft into uncontrolled airspace that effectively means revoking the route clearance without providing an alternative.

If there are any other problems with this route, I would love to hear about it.

ENKJ, Norway

Don’t get your hopes up for this routing. Rather expect NIK KOK DVR.

EBST, Belgium

The validated routing is fine to file, but at FL080 you will get vectored by London Control to be south of DVR, and then probably south of SFD, and somewhere between the two you will get a “cleared to descend below controlled airspace”.

The above is to get you clear of Gatwick traffic, though how much of it is there right now I don’t know.

It works fine; I’ve done this many times. And yes you aren’t supposed to re-enter CAS once you left it, although if you still have the London Control squawk their bust detection software (CAIT) probably won’t notice.

If ATC can direct an aircraft into uncontrolled airspace that effectively means revoking the route clearance without providing an alternative.

Yes; that is how the UK works You can see it e.g. here. One has to live with it… or fly in CAS all the way, which in the UK often means FL200+.

Be careful with UK CAS. They go after everybody 100% nowadays.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks, guys. I really do not care if I have to file another route, for example via DVR as suggested by airways. I will gladly fly a longer route if that will prevent a CAS bust. Just trying to find one that will bring me less surprises.

ENKJ, Norway

You will be fine all the time you know whether you are In or Out of CAS.
Just ensure if you’re out, you make sure to be cleared back in, or stay out.

United Kingdom

Skylane-pilot wrote:

NIK4C NIK DCT SKARD DCT KONAN DCT LZD/N0131F040 DCT SFD DCT EGKA

Or you could use this which validates ok at F080 or F100 ..NIK4C NIK DCT DENUT DCT KOK L607 KONAN DCT SFD DCT

It gets rid of that F040 bit, but the Autorouter FP would probably still validate if you deleted this bit .. /N0131F040

United Kingdom

The filed route doesn’t matter; UK radar ATC (London Control, and Scottish Control in the north) works tactically, especially in the south. The route flown bears little or no resemblance to what you filed (apart from the two ends ).

You can’t bust CAS while under London Control. Only after they drop you out of CAS (or, if departing in the UK, before you are with them and cleared to enter CAS) is that possible.

The F040 is an old Autorouter software artefact; it doesn’t mean anything AFAICT. It seems to be used to avoid Eurocontrol validation; if you file at 4k under say 5500ft CAS, anything you file will be validated ok.

I find the best way to generate routes with the Autorouter, for anywhere in Europe, is to specify preferred levels and I use FL100-FL180.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message