Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

New direct link to the German IFR AIP (and the VFR SUP & AIC) and German VFR AIP discussion

I was just told that the German DFS has created a new portal, so you now can access the IFR AIP without having to log into the Eurocontrol portal:

https://aip.dfs.de/basicifr

It contains the current VFR supplements and circulars as well. The VFR AIP is still not available for free.

While I’d also prefer a free VFR AIP (of course!), I’d like to say that you should blame the politicians, rather than DFS, for this. When the air traffic control service was reformed and converted into the equivalent of a Limited (although it is 100% owned by the Federal Republic of Germany) in 1993, it was decided they had to recover their operating costs.
The same applies to the weather service, DWD, which has to charge for their “specialty products” like aviation weather services.

This is not to indicate I am happy with this… I just had the impression that the matter was perceived as a decision of the DFS/DWD in this forum, which it is not.

EDXN, ETMN, Germany

CharlieRomeo wrote:

I just had the impression that the matter was perceived as a decision of the DFS/DWD in this forum, which it is not.

Kind of is, as in they decide to “recover their operating costs” by reducing safety of flight (restricting access to the VFR AIP) instead of making up the difference elsewhere.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

tmo wrote:

“recover their operating costs” by reducing safety of flight

To be fair, I do respect them for offering a clear and up to date VFR chart for free, the chart actually covering much of the neighboring countries. Also the DFS online flight plan form (“AIS Portal”) is well designed and convenient to use, which cannot be said, for example, of the Polish “Integrated Web Briefing”…

Last Edited by Mateusz at 18 Nov 10:08
EPKM, Poland

The EuroGA airport database gets the AIP data from EAD (Eurocontrol) and on a quick look it seems that for Germany the data returned is the same as above. However, CharlieRomeo’s site would have been much easier to access. EAD hides everything behind a “fake” login, multiple token exchanges, etc.

What is interesting to check is whether CharlieRomeo’s site also produces URLs which expire after a day or two, or perhaps every 28 days, like EAD does.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Posts on German VFR AIP access being not free etc are here

Administrator

CharlieRomeo wrote:

I was just told that the German DFS has created a new portal, so you now can access the IFR AIP without having to log into the Eurocontrol portal:
https://aip.dfs.de/basicifr

Thanks for this, was looking for info on operational hours of restricted areas, found the MIL docs at https://www.milais.org/publications.php#enr, and reading it, I found out that the MIL ENR 5.1 just says:

1. Prohibited, Restricted and Danger Areas
see AIP Germany ENR 5.1
(for ED-R 150 see in addition MIL AIP ENR 3.5)

So to discover operational hours of military areas, you have to read the Civil AIP (!) Interesting indirection here. That DFS link from above was what I needed.

Last Edited by hmng at 28 Apr 18:26
EHLE, Netherlands
Administrator
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message