Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Be careful who you fly in formation with

Malibuflyer wrote:

In a formation flight of 3 military aircraft, one had a pitch control issue and another one a radio failure.

The way I read it, the pitch control issue developed during the flight as a consequence of a foreign object. Could be a bird strike or something loose. Doesn’t specify.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Peter wrote:

He followed ZD609 through a series of manoeuvres for two minutes until it crashed into Wentwood Forest

I would have loved to hear the debrief on that one….

EGTR

Indeed, but actually I thought it sounds like the UK air force, especially in those days Probably the reliability of your military hardware is proportional to how often it gets used for real.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Just to recap: In a formation flight of 3 military aircraft, one had a pitch control issue and another one a radio failure. Sounds like German airforce …

Germany

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=137174

Suffered a pitch control restriction probably caused by a foreign object while acting as No 2 during a three aircraft low level loose tactical formation flight. The pilot (Lt. H. Mitchell) ejected at 100 feet and three seconds before impact.
The ejection changed the centre of gravity of the aircraft and it climbed clear of the ground. The No 3 aircraft who’s radio had failed then joined up with the pilotless aircraft thinking it to be the leader.
He followed ZD609 through a series of manoeuvres for two minutes until it crashed into Wentwood Forest, 1nm NE of Parc Seymour, Chepstow, Gwent

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message