Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

AIR BP refueling - big charges from 1st Jan 2021

lionel wrote:

Your colleague’s business buys goods (fuel) in the “local” countries, that is a local supply, just like buying oranges in the supermarket. Only purchase of goods that are transported to the (VAT taxable) buyer’s country by or on behalf of the seller or the buyer are subject to the “reverse VAT charge”

Thanks @lionel!

Seems valuable advise! I will relay.

However, I still do not understand why if the goods are transported by the buyer outside the country inside the airplane’s fuel tanks then the rule is different.

We get that all the time where we buy goods in another EU country, get billed and pay for them VAT-less, then pick them up in our (ground) vehicle (own or contracted) and then ship them home.

From what you say it does not work like that for fuel in the plane’s tanks: why?

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Wait a minute, did the guy meant :

• Less than 50 liters : fuel price + minimum uplift fee + hookup fee
  • More than 50 liters : fuel price + hookup fee

And if no Air BP card, the overwing fee adds again (what is the link between a credit card and an overwing??).

In short, he tells us to run from them.

LFOU, France

In short, he tells us to run from them.

Airborne_Again doesn’t think so.

Well, to anyone his interpretation

LFOU, France

Air BP is destroying GA.
In Scandinavia they took over from Statoil Aviation and the prices soared.
We had a situation with Air BP milking the market because they owned the fuel installations and has been controlling the prices.
There is and has been a steep price difference from the Airports in Germany supplied with Warter fuel to ours supplied by Air BP.
Luckily AirBP has now given up many of the fuel installations and left them to the airports/flightclubs, so hopefully we can get rid of Air BP.
Abandoning the installations and now this new policy will hopefully end it.
Customers power is to choose another supplier.

pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark

pmh wrote:

Luckily AirBP has now given up many of the fuel installations and left them to the airports/flightclubs, so hopefully we can get rid of Air BP.

Hjelmco Oil is a very big supplier in Sweden – both of its of unleaded 91/96UL and of 100LL. They supply fuel to about 90 airports. I’m a bit surprised they haven’t tried entering the market in Denmark, Norway or Finland.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Ok, let’s get this straight:

BP sais, self service stations are not charged. So that leaves out those.

Where there is fuel service, the question appears to be:
- Who is the actual supplier.
- What kind of payment do they accept.

If BP is the supplyer and operator of the fuel truck, then obviously they can do what they want.

If however BP card is accepted for payment with an airport operator, then I suggest to pay with other means. As far as I know e.g. at ZRH, you may pay with credit cards as well as BP and Shell cards (not sure about Tamoil). In that case, don’t use your BP card but use alternate means of payment.

Either BP wants to get out of Avgas and GA or they will notice rather sharpishly that people run towards other fuel cards. In the latter case I suppose they will get away from this pretty darn quick.

Has this been brought to attention of AOPA anyway? I suppose that is quite important.

Personally I do not have a dedicated fuel card and usually pay with credit cards. So far that has always worked. At my homebase, I get a monthly bill.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Personally I do not have a dedicated fuel card and usually pay with credit cards. So far that has always worked. At my homebase, I get a monthly bill.

Unfortunately, it seems that the invention of debit and credit cards has somehow to arrive at self-service fuel stations at airports. Take my home base of Rotterdam for example, where until about a year ago a self-service station existed that – albeit having a horrible, horrible user interface – accepted all credit and debit cards. Then AirBP took over, and now the previously two Avgas fuel pumps are down to one, and it works only with the AirBP card, of course. The alternative for me would be EHSE or EHMZ for refueling in the vicinity, but first that is annoying per se, and second my fuel bill would rise by the landing fees.

We had the discussion I believe, but it still boggles my mind why every little village gas station happily accepts my bank cards if I want to refuel at 2 A.M., but it isn’t possible for a dead-simple pump in a secure environment at an airport …

EHRD / Rotterdam

It’s slightly funny how TOTAL took a hammering for trying to corner the 91UL market, by offering free bowsers to airports to get them to drop 100LL and screw a large chunk of GA in the process, and failing, and now we see AIR BP doing something similar but different.

The funny thing is that if these people just sold the fuel at a slightly higher price, nobody would notice. What nobody likes is obviously exploitative practices.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Fueled up 50 Liters of Jet-A1 yesterday at LOWG.
AirBP now charges
12€ hookup fee
24€ overwing fee
36€ fee if volume <200 Liters

This brings a Liter of Jet-A1 up to roughly 2,4€/L.

always learning
LO__, Austria
Sign in to add your message