Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Research on carbon monoxide poisoning in GA

Hello GA community,

did you know that in the last 20 years, at least 31 aircraft accidents worldwide have been reported, where carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning was the main cause?

In a joint effort, the Queen Mary University of London and the Gas Safety Trust charity are running research to identify common factors, main causes, knowledge gaps and areas of opportunity to decrease the number of occurrences of this type of accidents.

I would like to invite you to share your knowledge and experience in a 5-minute questionnaire on best practices to prevent CO leaks in piston-driven aircraft. Your answers will be anonymous and help identify knowledge gaps and areas of opportunity within the GA community to save lives.

If you’re interested, please answer the questionnaire below and spread the form within your contacts.

Questionnaire

Thanks!!

Last Edited by GabrielJimenez at 15 Dec 18:20

I’ve done the questionnaire. I’m not impressed by it.
1) aircraft type not asked. I’ve posted videos on YT with the CO monitor bleeping. This was in a Jodel DR1050 with a draught coming in from the clamshell door join overhead. I didn’t feel any effect. The door could be opened slightly in flight, but I never did that. While the spot doesn’t change, an electronic monitor in some positions will usually bleep
I worry about CO in my Bolkow Junior. Better cockpit sealing.
Other than land immediately, I can’t see anything to do. The canopy cannot be opened in flight. The design of the cabin ventilation means cold air could still have CO.
The CO monitor in it never bleeps.
2) have you considered asking if the CO monitor has ever indicated CO?
3) have you considered asking about the type – spot or electronic?
A thorough inspection of the heater and exhaust before every flight is impractical.
Pilots assume regular checks have been done properly.
The logbooks are not usually available at preflight

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

GabrielJimenez wrote:

did you know that in the last 20 years, at least 31 aircraft accidents worldwide have been reported, where carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning was the main cause?

Really? Just so few? 1.5 CO accidents per year globally?

Depending on the source you consult, we have between 500 and 1.000 deaths by CO every single year in Germany alone. If your numbers are only directionally right, then CO would be a complete no-issue for GA…

Can’t believe that!

Germany
3 Posts
Sign in to add your message