Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Tips for flying an aircraft which is damaged or has a control problem (including avionics e.g. autopilot failures)

Just saw an article on this topic in the US AOPA magazine but it concerned bird damage.

I think control linkage problems may be more common. There are some general tips e.g.

• for a disconnected aileron linkage, use the secondary effect of the rudder
  • if elevator linkage is disconnected, you can use the elevator trim
  • if elevator linkage is jammed, you can use the elevator trim but it works backwards

Many years ago, an Airbus TRE and an FI didn’t believe me on the 2nd one, so we did a flight to prove it, by jamming the yoke in position with knees

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Many years ago, an Airbus TRE and an FI didn’t believe me on the 2nd one, so we did a flight to prove it, by jamming the yoke in position with knees

I guess that Airbus pilot was used to stabiliser trim, which does, indeed, not work backwards when the elevator is stuck.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

if elevator linkage is jammed, you can use the elevator trim but it works backwards

Depends on the plane. On planes where tailplane incidence is set by a jackscrew it works exactly the same.

T28
Switzerland

Important point one if you have reduced control available, is to fly so as to not put the plane into a situation where you’ll need that extra control – easy and gentle. If you have a roll control problem, you may have more control one way than the other, gently figure it out. If so, consider looking for a runway with a slight crosswind favouring the control you have.

If you have a pitch control problem, certainly use the trim as much as will help. But also gently experiment with flaps, (or gear), they might make “neutral” more where you’d like it to be. Kepp the power set to low mid power, so you can increase or decrease, as that will help with pitch control. If you have an uncommanded pitch up, and are tiring pushing forward on the control wheel/stick to prevent too much nose up, pull the plane into a steep turn, and use G force to balance out the control force while you figure things out.

As for loss of pitch control, many airplanes specify a procedure in the flight manual for landing without elevator control. I have experimented with Cessna’s 100 series procedure with a trusted safety pilot guarding the control wheel. I have not successfully landed using that procedure, though I have brought the plane to the flare, and believe that I would have put it on the runway without hurting myself. For practice, I regularly set up an approach into my home runway from cruise flight, without using the elevator control; trim, power and flaps only. This is something which should be practiced.

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

I would add that depending on the type of restriction plan to divert to an airport with emergency services, and think before deploying flaps (in a GA aircraft). A flapless landing would typically have better lateral stability and the pitch angle on the approach is closer to the flare. There is also better slipstream over the fin.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

I guess that Airbus pilot was used to stabiliser trim

Which GA planes have a THS like airliners have?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Mooneys tilt the entire empennage with the trim, including the horizontal stabiliser.

Biggin Hill

Pilot_DAR wrote:

I have experimented with Cessna’s 100 series procedure with a trusted safety pilot guarding the control wheel. I have not successfully landed using that procedure, though I have brought the plane to the flare, and believe that I would have put it on the runway without hurting myself.

I have similar experience, depending on CG it was or was not possible to touch down on the mains in a C172B. There is an important distinction between control blocked or controll free, however. Landing a 172 land-o-matic with a free-moving elevator is very easy and with good students I perform this training towards the PPL. Blocked elevator is a very different situation.

T28 wrote:

Depends on the plane. On planes where tailplane incidence is set by a jackscrew it works exactly the same.

Exactly. And on planes with a spring trim, it might not work at all.

Peter wrote:

Which GA planes have a THS like airliners have?

PA18, PA22, J3 and co.

Depending on the plane and circumstances, you might try shifting masses as well. As a quite heavy guy, my seat position in a C172 does make a change in trim.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

mh wrote:

Exactly. And on planes with a spring trim, it might not work at all.

It won’t work at all, if it just spring biases the elevator (unless the controls have come disconnected at the stick, and the trimmer attaches elsewhere).

However, with a conventional low tailed plane, you will have a small amount of pitch authority by using the throttle, e.g. a quick burst of throttle to help flare the aircraft when landing in this condition.

Andreas IOM

I’ve flown our Jodel DR1050 using throttle and rudder. No problem in cruise, but speed at roundout would have to be high and a loss of control after touchdown very likely.
On an biennial flight-with-an-instructor I’ve flown a circuit from lift-off to roundout in a Pa38 on trim and throttle. ( We knew it was a spring – just for fun.)
On a post-maintenance flight, I’ve had insufficient elevator authority due to new seat cushions. No problem unless you do a little bounce.
Fabric strip fluttering has never been a problem.
But one brake not working is a problem on a tailwheel aircraft, especially if the other brake is sticky.
With two throttles, after maintenance, I had the system jam, fortunately on short final with a displaced threshold. No possible action.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom
28 Posts
Sign in to add your message