Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

First flight 2021 to the beautiful island Ouessant (LFEC)

As the weather forecast for the first day of 2021 was CAVOK the whole day, we decided to go for a short trip to LFEC, the beautiful Île Ouessant. There we did a 11 km walk along the coast in the northern part of the island, because we knew the southern part from former visits.

Departure was LFRQ, Quimper. You may see the cathedral on this photo.

We crossed the Cap Sizun on the direct course to Ouessant.

We passed the Presqu’île Crozon weich ils also a beautiful area for hiking.

On the way are many small islands.

Landing direction was 05 so we crossed the runway midfield and made a standard traffic pattern with right hand downwind.

It gave us a good overview of the area we would walk along later on.

We have been the only flying visitor this day.

Sandwich with «Jambon du Bayonne» and a cup of tea.

Coming back to the field a nice sunset flight home to LFRQ was waiting for us,

Audierne, this is the small harbor town, where we will buy our fish and mussels on the market for the weekend tomorrow. It’s very close to the place where we live.

Approach runway 10 at LFRQ.
It was a great day and although it was all in all only 45 minutes of flight, it was a good start in the flying season 2021 for both of us. Jane did the first leg, I did the second.

EDDS , Germany

Nice way to start 2021, surely those two goats were surprised to see GA visitors

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

LFEC was my last flight at the end of december to revslidate my MEP and my MEIR.
The runway in use was the 23 with a 43 knot headwind straight down thr runway, Over the cliff on final it was as if a giant vacuum cleaner was trying to suck you into the sea but it also made for an incredibly short landing distance even with no flaps.
Ad part of the MEP test we did a low level circuit of the island. The waves crashing on the rocks and bursting upwards in amaxingly white surf was spectacular (sorry no pictures as my examiner would probably not have been impressed :) On return to Brest the wind also made the ground speed pass 200kt on the G1000.

France

Beautiful trip. My trip there in 2019 is one of the most memorable ones. Geologically it is quite similar to the Scilly Isles, which is predictable.

I wonder how much French traffic the island gets? We were the only plane parked there, too.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Well, Peter was there on Jan 1 and the other Peter was there on a low IFR day. Not the busiest ones

Gallois might know.

LFOU, France
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message