Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Anyone did FAA CPL in US recently?

Hi,

Anyone did their FAA CPL recently? I am looking to upgrade my FAA61.75 to standalone CPL,

Cheers,
Ibra

Last Edited by Ibra at 23 Jan 12:08
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Hi,

Mine is old but the main question is where do you want to do it ?
USA or Europe ?

Romain

LFPT Pontoise, LFPB

Can you even go to the US for something like this if you are not a US citizen right now?

The plan to do it in USA, when did you get yours Romain?

skydriller wrote:

Can you even go to the US for something like this if you are not a US citizen right now?

You can go to US for business or “CPL course” (after POTUS Exec Order, you have quaratine so you need a long trip)
Obviously, you have quaratine on way back…

Last Edited by Ibra at 23 Jan 13:17
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Mine is old (it was 10 years ago in Florida)
I did it with a freelance instructor by that time it was still possible.
Now you have to go thru a 141 ($$$) school in order to obtain a Student Visa plus TSA.

Right now almost impossible to go to USA, you have to request a NIE (National Interest Exception) but some embassy don’t deliver them to Pilots (France, UK)…

One other option when travel restriction will be lifted go to NY to pass the written exam and then do the training and testing in UK.
There is one DPE there, Peter seams to have some stories about him

LFPT Pontoise, LFPB

Ibra wrote:

You can go to US for business or “CPL course”

Im pretty sure that its not quite that easy, you need to be able to prove your trip is “in the National Interest”.
General “Work/business” isnt good enough since around March last year…

Since he threatened to sue a load of people years ago, nobody has any stories about him.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

National Interest Exceptions for Certain Travelers from the Schengen
Area, United Kingdom, and Ireland (link)

Last Updated: October 1, 2020

Certain business travelers, investors, treaty traders, academics,
students, and journalists may qualify for national interest exceptions
under Presidential Proclamations (PPs) 9993 (Schengen Area) and 9996
. Qualified travelers who are applying for
or have valid visas or ESTA authorization may travel to the United
States even as PPs 9993 and 9996 remain in effect following the
procedures below.

Students traveling from the Schengen Area, the UK, and Ireland with
valid F-1 and M-1 visas do not need to contact an embassy or consulate
to seek an individual national interest exception to travel. Students
seeking to apply for new F-1 or M-1 visas should check the status of
visa services at the nearest embassy or consulate; those applicants
who are found to be otherwise qualified for an F-1 or M-1 visa will
automatically be considered for a national interest exception to
travel.

[…]

London, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

You can go to US for business or “CPL course” (after POTUS Exec Order, you have quaratine so you need a long trip)

Everybody, US citizens etc included now needs a negative Corona test, there is no quarantine requirement. US Citizens, permanent residents and nonresident spouses/children of same can enter without issue. Otherwise you need the exemption plus test result.

President Trump removed the restrictions on European travelers just before leaving office, based on a recommendation from the Secretary of Health and Human Services (CDC) that at this point with similar Covid rates in the Europe and US the negative corona test on all incoming travelers makes more sense. However that change does not come into effect until the end of January and I believe the incoming administration will (or has already) reimpose(d) it.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 23 Jan 16:28

@Ibra, what do you want to know? I have done that about a year ago. Of course, living here visa restrictions such as they are didn’t apply. Happy to answer any training related questions.

@Silvaire, AFAIK the restrictions are back in place or more precisely the lifting was rescinded. Main reason cited, IIRC, was to slow the spread of the British mutation.

42 Posts
Sign in to add your message