Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Anyone did FAA CPL in US recently?

Thanks Qalupalik, yes I understood student visa (M1 & F1) are exempt from NI pass but original plan is going for 3 months on April on L1 visa which indeed require NI check but it does not allow CPL training, obviously, splitting into two trips is not feasible with weeks of quarantine, anyway I will see how things plays out in April

172Driver, for FAA61.75 to CPL requirements, what to expect from trainning? also does one need FAA61.75 to be “valid”? (base licence number not matching & BFR expires soon), obviously all can be sorted at FSDO & CFI/DPE but it adds more hassle…

Last Edited by Ibra at 23 Jan 18:52
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

You don’t need a current BFR to fly with an FAA instructor or a valid 61.75, or a valid foreign license. I can only imagine you have no issues with previous logged time on an ICAO license, but obviously that’s necessary. I’m not sure about the applicability of foreign military time, if that were relevant.

Are you trying to get an FAA instrument rating too, or just commercial? The two are not necessarily combined. Regardless, you’ll take and pass the written exams for certificates and ratings you want. Flying will be with any CFI (CFII?) until he recommends you for check ride (s). Then schedule check ride (s) with any DPE, take them and pass. The DPE will issue temporary paperwork and the plastic card will follow by mail.

Did I miss anything?

Last Edited by Silvaire at 23 Jan 19:22

Ibra wrote:

L1 visa … does not allow CPL training

Doesn’t it? Part-time studying should at least be possible going by SEVP’s Nonimmigrants: Who Can Study? table (pdf link).

London, United Kingdom

Silvaire wrote:

until he recommends you for check ride

That’s waived for foreign licence holders. 14 CFR 61.39(e).

London, United Kingdom

Thanks for the correction!

Ibra wrote:

172Driver, for FAA61.75 to CPL requirements, what to expect from trainning? also does one need FAA61.75 to be “valid”? (base licence number not matching & BFR expires soon), obviously all can be sorted at FSDO & CFI/DPE but it adds more hassle…

Sorry, @Ibra, I have no idea wrt the 61.75 situation. I have – and always had – a standalone FAA license. Training requirements I imagine to be the same as for an FAA candidate, unless you already hold an EASA (or other) CPL, then there are variations. I’d suggest to check the current ACS on the FAA website. I say current, as these things evolve. The theory and oral are rather heavy on legal aspects of flight ops. I’d suggest to do one of the online courses which also gives you the required certificate to sit the written test. The oral is scenario based and I have a funny feeling my DPE has crystal ball somewhere. This was pre-Covid, but my task was to fly vaccine supplies from L.A. to Yuma….

Thanks Silvaire/Qualupalik/172Driver for details, it seems less hassle (except the ‘rona bit)

Can one keep FAA61.75 after stand-alone CPL is issued or you have surrender it?

Last Edited by Ibra at 23 Jan 21:50
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I think your FAA on line record will only show one pilot certificate number, with no limitations (e.g. no “must be accompanied by foreign license” etc) and so ‘poof’ your 61.75 will be gone. However the nice ladies at the office in Oklahoma City are unlikely to request that you return anything to them

Last Edited by Silvaire at 23 Jan 22:15

The FAA CPL was specifically exempted from needing TSA approval. Interesting if that’s changed. You will still need the M1 Visa, probably…

My 2006 FAA IR writeup is here and much of it will still be up to date.

I recall a post here saying a 61.75 and a standalone CPL can coexist but can’t find it. It is a relevant issue if you had a 61.75 and the foreign pilot IR; if you lose the 61.75 you will need to do a standalone IR, plus you will need an FAA medical (which may or may not be easier than the EASA one, depending on details).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

FSIMS 5-595 D(4) (pdf link):

NOTE: A person who applies for a U.S. pilot certificate by accomplishing the
appropriate pilot certification requirements of part 61 and holds a pilot certificate
issued under § 61.75 need not surrender that § 61.75 U.S. pilot certificate. There
have been isolated incidences where examiners have mistakenly required a person
to surrender their § 61.75 U.S. pilot certificate when applying for the standard
U.S. pilot certificate. In this instance, it is permissible for a person to hold both
their § 61.75 U.S. pilot certificate and standard U.S. pilot certificate.

05_002_014rev1_pdf local copy

London, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message